Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which way to install Roberts Laminate Trim End 15mmx3.3m?

Mojomojo
Just Starting Out

Which way to install Roberts Laminate Trim End 15mmx3.3m?

Hello, We are using Roberts Laminate Trim End 15mmx3.3m Bronze for the transition between our hallway engineered wood floor and the carpet in the bedrooms off it. The trim will tuck under the wooden floor but just need to know which is the correct way up? Ideally the small side  to be seen but just double checking before we proceed?

20240325_173026.jpg

20240325_173016.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Roberts Laminate Trim End 15mmx3.3m

Hello @Mojomojo 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about the laminate trim end.

If you look closely the smaller side has a sloped start versus the longer side that does not. The larger side also provides a larger surface for nailing or gluing so that it is more secure. I suggest using the shorter side for the top and anchoring the longer side to the bottom.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robertdrum52
Finding My Feet

Re: Which way to install Roberts Laminate Trim End 15mmx3.3m?

Would you liquid nail work to fix this to a concrete floor, and then start laying the floating floor?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which way to install Roberts Laminate Trim End 15mmx3.3m?

Hello @robertdrum52 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us.

Yes, Selleys 320g Liquid Nails Original Construction Adhesive will work. The general practice is to install the flooring first and then putting the trim end on. This is done just in case adjustments need to be made to the flooring. Having the trim fixed in place means that it will need to be removed if changes are needed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

I have just laid a couple of rows of hybrid floor and thought I would test the trim end. I have a 2m trim pice to put in. I have left a 10mm expansion gap, but I can’t get the trim in if I try to get the 30mm wider portion under the boards. I also can’t get  the trim in place if I put the 30mm bit on top and the 15mm under. I dont feel I can have a bigger expansion gap than 10mm to enable the 15mm trim to be on top or the 30mm on top.

IMG_3353.jpeg

Am I missing something?

Hi @robertdrum52,

The advice @EricL provided above would be for an exposed end where the trim could be added later. In your case, that's not possible as the timber is in the way. I recommend you consider using a quad moulding or other timber trim piece to cover the expansion gap. It's a bit of a tricky situation as you have that stepped area to the timber, and it will take some creative thinking. If you can draw a diagram showing the side profile where the boards meet the timber, indicating the height difference, hopefully, we can help you select a suitable trim piece.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell,

the height difference from the floating floor board to the white timber sill top is 13mm

IMG_3365.jpeg

Porta 12x12mm 2.4m Quad Meranti would be in the right ballpark, provided your gap between the boards and the timber is less than 12mm @robertdrum52.

Mitchell

Thanks Mitchell. We are installing a hybrid floating floor, which I’m told don’t require a big expansion gap, but given the width of the room we have left 10mm. I don’t think a 12mm quad will be sufficient as i believe the boards could shrink by 3 or so mm. Is there quad that is 12mm high and 15-19mm wide?

Not a quad @robertdrum52, but there is the Porta 15x10mm 2.4m Bevel Glass Bead Tasmanian Oak. Alternatively, you might like to see how Porta 31 x 19mm 1.2m Picture Framing Tasmanian Oak looks. The section off to the side could be placed within the gap, and then you'd have a slanted section up to the elevated area.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects