Workshop
Ask a question

What nail length should i use with an Ozito nail gun?

mahabalesh
Just Starting Out

What nail length should i use with an Ozito nail gun?

Hi, I am planning to do the wall panel design like the attached photo.

I am using 60mm X 11mm MDF boards(https://www.bunnings.com.au/66-x-11mm-5-4m-moulding-white-pine-fj-primed-dar_p0021147).

As I might not have stud behind in all place, so I am planning to use the liquid nail and nails using gun.

i bought ozito nail gun(https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-18v-cordless-2-in-1-cordless-nail-and-staple-gun-pxngs-018-ski...)  today from Bunnings. Never used nail gun before or DIY like this. So I wanted to check what nail length should I use to install these MDF boards to make the pannel design.

Would 32mm length nail works? Or it’s too long?

also, could I just use nails even if stud not found behind or has to use liquid nail? Just worried of wall damage in future if I ever want to remove MDF boards!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what nail length should i use with nail gun

Hi @mahabalesh,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's great to have you with us.

I can't see an attached photo of the design you are interested in. If possible, could you please upload the photo so our members can offer more specific assistance? Let me know if you need help uploading images, I am happy to assist.

With trim carpentry such as wainscotting or board and batten feature walls, it's not always possible to hit studs with every nail. In these situations, it is necessary that liquid nails are used in addition to the nails. It's also important that the nails are not fired in straight, rather they should be angled in opposing directions to prevent them being pulled straight out of the wall by the weight of the piece.

Ideally, where a stud is available, nails should be used to connect the timber to the stud but should still be angled to prevent pull out. In most residential applications, plasterboard sheets are either 10mm or 13mm thick. With this in mind, your nail will have to pass through 11mm of timber, potentially 13mm of plasterboard leaving 8mm of embedment into a stud. I would prefer deeper embedment of the nail, but 32mm nails are the maximum size for this particular gun, and when used with liquid nails, and angled as stated earlier, they should be adequate. If you require further nails, I advise PowerFit 32mm C1 Series Electro-Galvanised Brad Nails.

You might like to check out these 5 feature walls with wainscoting for some inspiration and guidance.

Let me know if you require further assistance or if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob, for the quick response.

I have tried to attach the photo again, hopefully it’s uploaded this time.

So trying to do something similar to the attached photo..

So will try 32mm length nails. Will use liquid nail and nails using nail gun where I don’t find stud.
Just one more dumb question I got, any number of nails should I have to use per sheets?

IMG_0307.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mahabalesh,

Yes, the photo has been attached and might I say I love the design and am excited to see what you create.

I would want to have 2 nails around 50mm from the top and bottom of every piece and then 2 at 300mm intervals between, all angled in opposite directions as stated earlier. For example, a 600mm piece would have 2 at the top, 2 in the middle and 2 at the bottom.

Please update us as the project commences, it will be great to see the end result.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects