Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ampfibian X1 Weatherproof Connector Protector

Steve5
Having an Impact

Ampfibian X1 Weatherproof Connector Protector

I want to add a 240v fountain to my dam but I'll need 2 20m extension leads that need waterproof connections for the rain.

I'm also going to need 3 20m extension leads to connect an automated door to my chicken coop.

This connection cover looks good except for the reviews indicating condensation issues:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ampfibian-x1-weatherproof-connector-protector_p0057700

Do you think the condensation is from the clear case?  Would spray painting white help?

Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ampfibian X1 Weatherproof Connector Protector

Hi @Steve5,

According to the instructions, the Ampfibian X1 Weatherproof Connector Protector is for temporary use, not a permanent installation. We have the Arlec 4 Outlet Weatherproof Electrical Enclosure Box, which can be wall-mounted permanently. Still, you will need to check it periodically to ensure that moisture has not built up inside the enclosure due to differences in humidity and temperature.

Have you considered having a qualified electrician run conduit underground to these locations and then installing weatherproof powerpoints for you? That would do away with the need for these connection protectors.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the link to the enclosure box.  Burying conduit and installing a powerpoint nearby would be nice, but the area floods.  

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey mate, I would be cautious about any enclosure in that case be it IP54 or IP65 if it's going to go under water for any period of time. Rubber seals wear with heat, light and expansion and the seals are your IP rating. 

As Mitch has mentioned a continuous run of conduit underground and then each end raised higher than the flooding point. 

The extension cord IP enclosures are not really a set and forget option.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @CSParnell

Let me tag @Steve5 to make them aware of your recommendations. I totally agree that this particular set-up has to be done professionally by a registered electrician. If it floods in that area, all precautions must be taken to prevent any electrical mishap.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks.  Yes, I plan to raise the connection point above the high water mark and keep an eye on moisture.  Extension cords cheaper and easier than 600mm deep trench with conduit. I still have the leftover warning plastic from the last trench..

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Steve5 unfortunately cheaper and easier doesn't mean safer especially when  it comes to electricity..

The electrical trade is expensive due to the huge amount of risk it carries even just to install 1 x power point.  We stuff up someone gets hurt or killed opposed to a plumber where someone gets wet or building damage as an example.

A contractors insurances and public liability is also high per year.

Yes, I understand the value of an electrician.  Especially a good one such as the one I used to install inverter connections to my fusebox, power to gate opener, etc.   i'll dig a trench for him to install powerpoint if fountain solves algea issues.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects