Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are these garden tap threads compatible?

raymondo
Building a Reputation

Are these garden tap threads compatible?

20230112_115936.jpgJ

ust a quick question. I am aware that mixing Brass and steel, is potentially chemically unstable. But are the threads meant to be compatible, at least?   They are both half inch, BSP. .

I find that three or four turns is all that is possible, if that. 

(Brass half inch garden tap and half inch Galvanized steel coupling.)

Thanks...

Re: Are these garden tap threads compatible?

@raymondoThis is a very interesting thread, I had never thought about issues connecting different types of metal taps and fittings together. After reading your above post, am I right in thinking that brass is the go to if you can afford it? I'd like to know this so that I can avoid any issues and move what I buy over to brass.

raymondo
Building a Reputation

That's interesting about the tapered thread. I didn't know that. I bought Elbows and tees plus joiners from Bunnings in Sale 3850. 

They all have the same problem. I need to add, that although I'm a  very fit and active gardener, I am 75 and my wrist will not be as good as yours by a long shot. However, I have no trouble tightening the brass threads. 

I actually brushed the threads with a wire brush to remove any burs, and lightly brushed them with a find black paper, which  made no difference. 

I'm sure I'll get another turn with a spanner. 

Incidentally,  I had to remove a wheel from my SUV yesterday. One of the nuts locked on being removed and only grew tighter. 

My local tyre agent had to sheer off the stud and replace it. So I don't think I'm too incapable of tightening a nut.

My Bunnings store is only 4 mins up the road. I'm happy to take them back and see if any of the guys on the team can better three turns.

cheers

Ray

Hi @raymondo  @Noyade 

The  taper is  your friend it  creates a smaller gap compressing the plumbing tape and there fore helps seal  and at the  same time provides a stronger positve  physical lock together. if the thread was parrallel  it could work loose with tap/hose usage.  I have a parrallel tap currently and every time 

I walk past it it has moved with use ie hose pulling on it sooner or later I will have to redo the plumbers tape  really annoying.

Really you dont want (metal on metal) as metal isnt a good seal.

@raymondo  I am  older to so  consider:  If you want it tighter fit simply slip a 600 mm pipe over your spanner extending your leverage be care full  not to damage your plumbing connected it will bend.  We  have to think smarter cudos to you if you all ready knew this trick.

"The taper is your friend"

He certainly is! 😁

Taper or Cone?Taper or Cone?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects