Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard levelling

PaulB2521
Just Starting Out

Backyard levelling

Ok, are you ready for a saga!

A while ago I bought a pool and the instructions said 'make sure the ground is level', not being any sort of DIY guy, I looked at the ground and thought 'that looks level'. Put up the pool and when the first rains came it sank 4 inches on one side.

After sumping the pool, dismantling it, trying myself to level it with a pick, then hiring someone with a digger, it still never went up.

Current time and space : I've bought a new pool (above ground) and trampoline. Would like to make sure my ground is level and contacted the 'professionals' to make sure it gets done right this time around. Got a couple of quotes and these range from $20k, then $8k and then $4k (must have caught them on a good day!)

Could someone please tell me whether hiring a digger for $500 and trying to do it myself is a horrible idea?

Got no clue as to how to level ground - being a SciFi nut was thinking you put some sort of gadget in one place and it would automatically tell you if you got it right.

Additionally I have sleepers that could be used to brace the lower part of the garden (photos attached).

As a ending, should I just pay the $4k and get it done rather than try and learn myself, all I really want is to put up the pool 

and trampolines for the boys during summer.

Cheers All,

Paul B.

Image(3).jpeg

Image(2).jpeg

Image(1).jpeg

Image.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Image.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard Levelling

Hello @PaulB2521

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about backyard levelling.

Just to give you an idea of the weight being applied underneath your pool, 1000 litres is equivalent to 1 ton. So an average 3000-litre pool will be exerting a pressure of 3 tons on un-compacted and unsupported soil. Any soft parts in that area will definitely sink due to the weight being applied to the soil surface.

An easy solution would be to think of it as setting up a base for a water tank. Generally, the site must be prepared and a frame built to hold the compacted material that will take the weight of the water tank in this case the swimming pool. The only extra addition to the base building would be to put on cement sheeting on top so that no sharp objects will pierce the bottom of the swimming pool.

The option of building it in concrete is also possible, however, you'll need to engage the services of an engineer or draftsperson to draw you up a weight-bearing slab design. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install a water tank by @Adam_W ( Look carefully at the base building technique )

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your swimming pool set up and ready to use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
raymond265
Having an Impact

Re: Backyard levelling

I recently hired a 1.7 tonne excavator for $160 for the day. It was relatively easy to operate, however just remember as soon as you start digging to level the ground dirt expands alot. You will have to work out what to do with the excess dirt. I had to get a bobcat and tipper truck to get rid of the excess dirt the next weekend. 

1000000746.jpg

1000000826.jpg

If you have someone that can take all the dirt then you could so it yourself. $4k might be a good price if they are levelling a large area.

Good luck with it. Doing it yourself is more satisfying but small things can turn into big jobs really quick 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects