Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to clean solar panels?

Mick2
Just Starting Out

Best way to clean solar panels?

Hi everyone. I have an old solar hot water system on the roof and I've noticed it has got algae or something growing on it. Is there anything I should or shouldn't use to clean it? I've been putting it off as I'm not too keen to get up on the tiled roof as it could be slippery. I guess something that I could spray from a distance and stay on the relative safety of the ladder would be preferable. Thanks!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Best way to clean solar panels?

Welcome to Workshop @Mick2. We are pleased you could join us and hope community members provide lots of useful advice and inspiration for your projects. 

Hopefully Workshop community members like @Brad and @Henno will have some good suggestions for you about this problem, but in the meantime you might find information in this similar discussion helpful - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Mould-on-solar-panels/m-p/6496

Please let us know if you ever need a hand getting the most from this site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop so it is even more useful to you. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I found some on our old system that was in a corner from a leak - new system later only a bit of mould on a mounting bracket and no leak.
I would try a gentle spray with a garden hose first.
Henno
Having an Impact

@Mick2

I've seen this stuff around and perhaps this might be useful. Not sure if they stock it at Bunnings though, but you could ring your local one and ask:

http://cleanwithglitz.com.au/product/glitz-out-door-cleaner-con-5l/

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects