Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I build a stud wall on a deck?

Michelekranzy
Finding My Feet

Can I build a stud wall on a deck?

Would like to enclose alfresco with a wall to put tv on - can I frame bottom to the decking or should I remove decking and bolt to existing concrete slab?

1D25A2FD-68A3-4BDA-B071-CEAE544A8189.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: build wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Michelekranzy. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a stud wall.

You could likely build the wall on the deck if there is an adequate amount of footers and joists to support the weight of the wall. If you can fix the wall frame to the house bricks and pillar, that would help bear a portion of the weight. It would be best to have the wall start at the ground, but as long as the deck is adequately reinforced, it shouldn't be an issue.

Here's a handy guide on How to build a stud wall. For your wall, you'll need to use materials suitable for external use, like H3-treated framing. Remember your PPE when constructing the wall, including a face mask, safety glass and gloves.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell 

yep beam directly under where we are putting base plate 

also just a partition as self supporting area - thanks for your import so much appreciated- feel heaps better now so grateful 

I thought I'd also link this project @Michelekranzy. @Baggs added an Alfresco wall for privacy and weather protection. It wasn't on a deck, but it's a similar project and likely worth a look.

Keep us updated, and reach out again if you have further questions. I can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchelll

saw this post - great read 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects