Workshop
Ask a question

How to have a sensor light stay on?

Samara1
Growing in Experience

How to have a sensor light stay on?

If I use my outside lights all the time, I would like to have the light stay ON when I am outside entertaining or i have heard noises and want the light to remain ON for the rest of night, Is there any special switch which I can change to which will make overriding the sensor ? 

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: Can I override my sensor to use the light normally?

Hello @Samara1 to the best of my knowledge... turning the light on, then off and back on quickly defeats the sensor light circuitry, to return to normal operation simply turn off for a few seconds then back on again. 

Apparently there is a specific switch available (as mentioned in the linked article below), I have not seen one before but might be a specialty order item available through Bunnings (for fitment by an Electrician) 🤔

https://www.bluegumelectricalsolutions.com.au/sensorlights-how-to-override-and-avoid-confusion/

@MitchellMc @EricL 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1,

It's great to see @DIYGnome has already offered you some great advice.

I had a sensor light at my home growing up that acted as DiyGnome has mentioned, so I am certain they are available. You would however need to confirm with the manufacturer of your specific sensor light whether this is a functionality that they have included.

I have been in contact with our suppliers to enquire whether there is a 3-way switch available that is capable of this, however unfortunately their technical team do not work weekends. Allow me to follow up with them on Monday to see if there is a product available that can fulfil your needs.

In the meantime, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Samara1
Growing in Experience

Great thanks @JacobZ appreciate your time and kind help for the followup. please let me know once u confirm thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Samara1,

Deta have confirmed that this switch would not be suitable in this application.

Your best option is to purchase a sensor light with a manual override function such as this Arlec 30W DIY Twin LED PAR38 Security Flood Light With PIR Motion Sensor.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects