Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i use bamboo or matchstick blinds as a carport shade cover?

sarahdee
Getting Established

Can i use bamboo or matchstick blinds as a carport shade cover?

I need a cheap and easy option to create shade over the carport roof but I don’t like the look of shadesail. Can I use the outdoor bamboo/matchstick style blinds as a cover? I was thinking to lay it horizontally along the top of the timber carport structure and fix it to the timber with some sort of bracket.

is this a terrible idea?

IMG_7098.jpeg

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: Can i use bamboo or matchstick blinds as a carport shade cover

Hi @sarahdee

I think they both sound like a great idea!  However ... 🙄 😉 

Your carport looks like it gets full sun and is exposed to all the elements.  So you might need to consider how long you want them to be up there. Is it a temporary solution?  And do you know what are the upright posts and crossbeams are made of?

If you are in Australia, I'm thinking the sun would dry out the individual slats/ branches pretty quickly and they would simply discolour and split.  I think even the mature 100mm bamboo poles would have a hard time maintaining an appealing appearance. 

There are also the horrific winds we get, particularly in the season of stormy weather.  The light weight of either choice would likely be lifted off by the storm and end up who knows where! 

I tend to agree with you re shadecloth, though that might have a short life expectancy too. 

I would go with something alot heavier and more durable. Even cheaper structural timber?  Have you considered getting some quotes from roofers?  They might have some  affordable ideas for you.  Perhaps even space out a few timber posts across the top of the bamboo?  That might provide the structural security as well as having a nice appearance from the underside.  Also making it cooler underneath  too.

The Workshop Community has lots of people with far more skills and experience, so I'm sure you'll get more ideas and help from them.  I  shall look foward to hearing (and seeing!) what you eventually decide on!

Good luck! 🤗

Tyro

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sarahdee. It's marvelous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a shade cover.

Using outdoor bamboo blinds would certainly be an option, and I can think of any particular reason why that would be a terrible idea. However, as @Tyro has pointed out, you might experience a limited lifespan with the blinds being constantly exposed to the elements. Alternatively, you could consider Bamboo screening, which uses full bamboo pieces instead of split sections, but that will have some gaps between the bamboo, allowing light through. That could be a positive as it would let winds through more readily.

I love @Tyro's idea of using timber. What about using Merbau batons? That would certainly be an attractive option whilst still providing an amount of shade to the vehicles.

For both, you could likely screw through them directly into the timber beams to fix them in place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the response. It’s definitely a short term solution and mostly to provide some shade/dappled shade to that side of the house from the full afternoon sun, so the gaps are ok, plus I do have some cactus in pots out there that would still need some light. I’ll do a bit more research with your and @Tyro  suggestions 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sarahdee 

Just to offer a possible alternative, have you considered using Coolaroo 2.1 x 3.9m Charcoal Ready-To-Hang Rectangle Shade Sail - Charcoal Rectangle. Seeing that you have a timber frame already in place, it will just be a matter of installing Zenith 12.7 x 140 x 10mm Zinc Plated Eye Screw into the corners and you can hang the shade sail over your car.

Although it might not provide the dappled look you're after, it is rated for 90% UV blockage so provides adequate protection from the sun. Your car will certainly be a lot cooler in the shade.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @sarahdee 

Have you had a walk around the area?  You might well get some inspiring ideas from others in the neighbourhood.

Cheers & good luck! 🤗

sarahdee
Getting Established

Hi Eric! I’m not a fan of the look of shadesail tbh. The house has a bit of a midcentury modern vibe and I was looking for something that ties in with that Palm Springs style as well as being cheap and easy to install (I’ll be attempting this myself). The car is usually parked in the garage so I’m not concerned about it, it’s more that there’s a small office that gets blasted by the afternoon sun and although it has timber shutters/blinds the room still heats up considerably.

I'm starting to think that premade screening panels might be a good option.

sarahdee
Getting Established

Good idea! I’m drawing inspo from the mid century modern Palm Springs style.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects