Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you build a deck using pallets?

Mary1983
Just Starting Out

Can you build a deck using pallets?

Hi 
I was wondering if it is recommended to use pallets to build a deck and would it carry people’s weight safely and what I really do to treat it to prevent from moulding and rotting

Thank you 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Building a deck using pallets

Hi  @Mary1983 

i would  use pallets only as a  tempory decking 2 to 5 years more if paint  sealed.  to lift things out of some mud etc but most pallets made from the cheapest junk wood that will dry rot quickly and the money you will spend trying the preserve it would be more wisly spent on treated pine as a minimum with  built in  endurance .

Consider making a basic treated pine frame and using yellow  tounge flooring on it and deck sealing top and bottom it would be a cost effective option that will take a bunch of people and be mold resistant.

If you supply the deck  dimentions and add a photo of the proposed  deck area we can help guideyou through the steps and offer designs. If  you wish.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can you build a deck using pallets?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mary1983 and thanks for joining in the discussion. It's great to have you with us. 

Helpful member @Jewelleryrescue has already provided a wise reply, but let me also tag @Arcc who built low-level decks using recycled pallet timber. 

You might also like to share more details about your proposed deck so members can give more comprehensive, specific and helpful advice. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL would be more than happy to suggest alternative materials to use. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Can you build a deck using pallets?

Afternoon @Mary1983 

I have often thought of using old pallets for decking and a few other ideas. As @Jewelleryrescue  says their lifespan can be short. The hardwood pallets are usually kept by the freight companies and the lighter pine pallets I would not use. 

If the pallets are kept off the ground and are the same size then I would say its doable. Do you have an idea on what surface you want to put on them? Most pallest I come across are beaten up a bit so you may wantto consider that factor. 

At the very least I would be oiling the pallet with a timber oil (I am sure there are other products that protect, I just have been using it lately) I would be making sure there is no contact with the ground and the pallets are consistant in sizing. 

Last question, could you showus a few photos of the area you are thinking of builing the deck, there may be another way to approach it and still use pallets.

Id also like to saw howdy and offer a warm welcom to the Bunnings community :smile:  So many different answers in here and so many projects I am sure you will find a way for your deck!

Dave

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects