Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you install outdoor tiles over pavers?

Ona-Budget
Finding My Feet

Can you install outdoor tiles over pavers?

I want to make a garden path kinda like the image, stepping stones between grass. It will lead to the pool. 

The pool has beautiful travertine stone capping and has nice 400x400 outdoor  tiles around. 

I would love to have travertine pavers but my budget is next to nothing as I am on maternity leave.

The previous owners who installed the pool left a heap of the spare outdoor tiles. I know I can't just use tiles like pavers as they are too thin. However could I glue them to the top of cheap 400x400 concrete pavers, almost like a veneer? If so what would I use to secure them? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question... I'm inclined to think it's bot possible as I couldn't find it on google lol

Screenshot_20240407_115913_Chrome.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: outdoor tiles over pavers?

Hi @Ona-Budget,

Firstly, welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I can't see any reason that you couldn't do this as the tiles have a nice flat surface to adhere to.

You should use a cement based tile adhesive such as Davco 20kg SMP Evo Tile Adhesive to stick the tiles down. You'll need two Buckets, one for mixing in, and one for clean water and a sponge. You'll also need a Notched Trowel for adhesive application. 

Most importantly, don't forget your personal protective equipment, ie. gloves, eye protection and a mask/respirator.

To see the what's involved in tiling, I would look at this helpful step by step guide Bunnings DIY-Advice page; How To Lay Floor Tiles.

If you need any further advice, please feel free to reach out.

Jacob

Thanks @JacobZ for the prompt reply and welcome message.

This will likely be one of many questions lol as I have alot of time on my hands, but very little experience and budget lol

I will give it a crack, and see how it turns out.  Thanks again

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ona-Budget,

The only way to gain experience is to "give it a crack", as you've said. 

Myself, my colleagues and our wonderful community of knowledgeable people will be here to help you along your journey, so please reach out whenever you have any questions. 

You might even find you love it so much that not long from now, you're the one helping out others at the start of their DIY journey.

Good luck,

Jacob

@JacobZ,, another question sorry, I just watch the video and looks like I'll probably make a bit of a mess of

it, so was wondering if I'm just doing one tile on one paver of the same size per stepping stone can I just use a gorilla glue or like.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ona-Budget,

I wouldn't advise it. Tile adhesives are designed to be far more resistant to water than a super glue style adhesive and being outdoors it will be exposed to water. For the best results, you should definitely use the tile adhesive.

It's not too hard to keep things tidy if you set yourself up well before starting and have a bucket of clean water and sponge handy for any clean up. My experience with tiling is that it's about making a "controlled" mess, then cleaning it up as you go.

If you need further advice, please let me know.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects