Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you repaint over slightly chipped concrete?

Andy85
Finding My Feet

Can you repaint over slightly chipped concrete?

I am planning to repaint, as you can see - worn out sections of concrete.

I have already talked to several Bunnings team members and they kindly assure that for the actual painting phase ~ I do not need separate sealer, nor primer before hand. The product was I recommended was Dulux Weather Shield low sheen. And the colouring is custom-matched thanks to the friendly folks. 

But is it safe to paint directly over the chipped concrete? I understand the need to remove as much of the paint first with a scraper, but finding this to be very time consuming. Some parts are obviously easy to scrape so long as the "peel" is there, but everywhere else appears finely granulated and did not remove well.

Appreciate all responses.PXL_20240331_074221526.jpgPXL_20240331_074132642.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repainting straight over slightly chipped concrete ~ safe?

Hi @Andy85,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

You will need to remove as much of the flaky paint as possible, otherwise the new paint will not be correctly adhered to the concrete. You could use a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper alongside a Trojan 3 x 14 Row Wooden Wire Brush to get all the flaky paint off. This doesn't look like it will be too difficult since it's already flaking away in a number of areas.

Once the flaky paint is removed, you should apply a coat of Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat. Wait for the primer to dry before painting with an exterior coating like Dulux Weathershield.

If you have any other questions, please get in touch.

Jacob

Hi @JacobZ much appreciated for the turn around response. Understood so a primer is indeed required, perhaps I was given a wrong advice.

With the scraping progress however, I may need more advice to how to go about doing it in a more time efficient manner. Upon manual scraping + considerable elbow grease/efforts ~ I am finding that I am actually embedding some of the paint granules back ~ into the concrete.

Previous hour/s of research led me to find people actually using their multi-tool (which I believe it to warrant an extreme hearing hazard by the way) with a grinding disc like these in a sample search results. My next question is would these be appropriate to use on concrete?

Thank you.

- Note that I decided to remove one of the images uploaded due to privacy and confidentiality. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Andy85 

I must admit I am over removing flaky paint as well. It is a hard slog but worth it as if you dont then you will be back at it in a very short time frame.

I have removed years of paint from my patio with a paint scraper... wire brush, High water pressure gun (was teh best way and then a wire brush attachment to a powered drill (battery drills just didnt last long enough)

I have also removed flaky paint from the bessa block wall nect to my pool with a high pressure water blaster. It worked a treat tho did take me 6-8 hrs all up and then the clean up of paint bits all over the place.

I havnt uploaded the two projects as the patio still needs its handrail and the pool bessa block wall still needs to be painted. I will see if I can upload part of them tomorrow tho to show the steps I used.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Andy85,

You could certainly use that type of strip disc, but they would go in an angle grinder and not a multi-tool. I don't believe I've encountered that type of strip attachment for a multi-tool before.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects