Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use fibre cement sheeting for a fence?

MirandaC
Finding My Feet

Can you use fibre cement sheeting for a fence?

Hi, I’m wondering if it is possible to use fibre cement sheeting for a fence at all? I was going to put in a timber plank fence but feel this might be a quicker way to go. Any key considerations for using fibre cement sheets instead?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use fibre cement sheeting for a fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MirandaC. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a fence.

You could certainly use fibre cement sheets to construct a fence, and I'd recommend fibre cement cladding. If this is a fence between two properties, you'll obviously need to discuss the material choice with your neighbour. Depending on the thickness of the sheets, you might need to increase the size of the footings to ensure they can support any additional weight. The 4.5mm sheeting would likely work out to be a similar weight to timber pailings, but if you were to go with the 7.5mm sheeting it could work out to be heavier.

The only other thing to consider is that thin sheets on one side of the fence could look a little unfinished. You might like to install the sheets on both sides of the fence and cap the top as per the rendering I've created below. Render bead reinforces and covers the top joins before you apply render over them. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to render corners.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the advice @MitchellMc .

iIt is an internal fence, and I was thinking of using something like James Hadie Axon cladding with us 9mm thick and painting it. Given the nature of having the VJ groves in the board it would look best with cladding both sides and I was thinking a timber rail to top it off.
Given the cladding is 9mm thick, with two sheets would this be exceptionally heavy that I’d be best to just stick with pailing instead?

Thanks,

Miranda 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MirandaC

It's fantastic that you've received excellent advice from @MitchellMc. Just to add another perspective to your project, let's say for example that you purchased the James Hardie 3600 x 1200 x 9mm 4.32m² Smooth Axon™ Cladding. One sheet divided into two will cover a space of 2400mm x 1800mm, but it will need an extra post in the middle as the 2400mm is too wide for the timber rails to support. So in essence it will be a distance of 1200mm per post.

When you compare the price difference, the paling is 92 times cheaper than the Axon cladding. However, you are paying for the look that Axom gives. With the post distances I've shown you the Axom panels can be supported. But if your budget is a bit tight you can always paint the palings in the same colour and reduce the distance between them to give you a better profile.

Have a look at the images below and tell me what you think.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Media.jpgI am doing similar project. If I use 4.5mm thick, can I get away with 2m post span? Also, what fixtured do you use to attach sheets? What paint type do you use to protect against rain and moisture 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mehulnnaik. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a fence.

The maximum distance between vertical fixing points for 4.5mm Hardie Flex cladding is 600mm, so fixing to your posts at 2000mm would not be suitable. Here's the installation guide for your reference. You'd need at least three more vertical studs across that span. I'd recommend you concrete in another post in the middle and then attach a stud on either side of it onto the rails.

For a timber frame, the cladding is installed using clouts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the information. I have seen other posts where people have installed on similar span. Cement sheeting on timber fence | Bunnings Workshop community Just curious to know.

It's entirely up to you what you'd like to do, @mehulnnaik.  

Having another post in the middle stiffens the rails up significantly, but that's not to say it won't work without them. I can only go off the installation guide, which requires horizontal and vertical attachment points. Currently, you only have horizontal fixing points.

Mitchell

Hi MItchell,

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I will post photos after its built. What do you suggest using to cover up clouts. I am thinking to attach a piece of wood batten (thin one - 10 or 20mm thin and 75mm wide) on top of panel. Specially from the other side where it will be flush. I am going to install panel on both side as you suggested earlier and then painting it. As you can see from the pic, I just finished installing modular wall on the front. I didn't go for modular on this side as I may remove this fence in future so didn't want to spend too much. Also, this fence is my pool fence as well.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mehulnnaik 

It's definitely an idea worth considering; However, I suggest using 42 x 11mm 5.4m H3 Treated Pine FJ DAR Primed LOSP as an alternative, as it is pre-painted with a genuine pink primer, and H3 treated against fungal and insect attack. Just keep in mind that the timber you'll should be rated for outdoor use.

Another option is using Parfix 500g Ready To Use Multipurpose Filler to cover the nail heads, it is a versatile, ready mixed filler ideal for filling cracks, holes and gaps inside and outside the home. It can be sanded down and painted over with your preferred paint product.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects