Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cost-effective ideas for painting outdoor garden gnomes?

sjmann
Finding My Feet

Cost-effective ideas for painting outdoor garden gnomes?

I'm looking to repaint some old garden gnomes.. what sort of paint would I use? I obviously don't want it to wash off in the rain and I'm looking for a cost effective option as I will just be using the paint for the gnomes. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Cost-effective ideas for painting outdoor garden gnomes?

Hi @sjmann 

I painted  some outdoor concrete  things simple wash and clean your Gnomes. 

Basic Acrylic paint does the job well here 

And bunnings has a 10 pack of colour to start you off do your regular paint blending to make you own uniques colours

Boyle 20ml Matt LENi Decorator Acrylics Paint - 10 Pack I/N: 1662773 19.96

Also look at any shops selling artist acrylics possible in larger quantities as you need Have fun :smile:  if you feel like do a  before and after photo to inspire others to re paint garden ornaments..

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Cost-effective ideas for painting outdoor garden gnomes?

Welcome to the Bunning Workshop community, @sjmann. We're thrilled to have you join us and trust you'll find lots of handy advice and inspiring ideas for all your D.I.Y. projects from our clever and creative community members. 

Great to see you've received advice from @Jewelleryrescue about painting your garden gnomes. I agree that it will be great if you could also post some photos of the gnomes. This will also help our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL and other members get a better idea of what you're working with, enabling them provide more tailored advice. Also tagging @Jamespeter100 and @KelleeKat to see if they have any thoughts. 

Let me know if you need a hand posting photos. Happy to help.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor Garden Gnomes

Hello @sjmann 

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend priming the surface of the garden statues. This will provide an excellent base for the acrylic paints. Once the paint has totally cured, I propose using Dulux 325g Duramax Semi Gloss Clear Spray Paint to seal the paint surface. The clear sealer will act as the first line of defence against the weather. It should technically extend the life of the painted surface.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects