Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. archery target

4GBRam
Finding My Feet

D.I.Y. archery target

Wanted to practise archery at the club & for those times when we go on road trips to a friend's farm in regional Victoria. The goal was to see if I could build my own target to use at the club. 

Disclaimer: It is not legal to practise shooting arrows in the backyard in most councils. Therefore this target was to be used at the club or back at my friend's farm in regional VIC. 

Materials

Please see attached diagram for exact measurments. Rough cost of all materials = $50 

• Treated Pine 
    76 cms * 4
    69 cms * 2
    62 cms * 2
  • Plywood
    76 cms * 30 cms * 4
  • Tarp * 2 (Link)
  • Timber screws (Link)
  • Basic Staple gun with staples (Link)
  • Packing material (plastic pallet wrap) - Borrowed from a closeby warehouse
  • Spray paint (Link)

Tools

* Brushless Drill (Link)

* Circular saw (cut to dimensions at Bunnings store while purchase of plywood)

* Knife / scissors to slice tarp to size

* A keen mathematical mind (hoping you smiled)

Steps

Step 1

• Screw the treated pine blocks  to make a perfect square for the front & back plates.
  • For greater strength screw using a pocket hole jig that drills through the timber's lines rather than against it. 
  • Cut tarp to size of squares for front & back.
  • Staple the target face (tarp layers) to the front & back of the frame.

20200710_171525.jpg

Step 2

• Screw the plywood sheets (cut to size)  to make a perfect cube for the front & back plates. Leave the top unscrewed for stuffing the packing material. 

Archery 4.jpgArchery 2.jpg

Step 3

• Stuff packing material into the opening of the frame
  • Compact the packing material inside the target frame by pushing with a stick. 

Archery 5.jpg

Step 4

• Put on the last plywood to close up the target
  • Spray paint target spots on the target face (optional)

Archery 6.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: D.I.Y. archery target

Hello @4GBRam 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your archery target project.

What a clever way to create an easy to carry archery target. I believe that the yellow circle should be clearly visible even at 50 meters. Using the blue tarp material should last you quite a while before you need to replace it. Have you considered using QEP 183cm Comfort Carpet Underlay as a possible filler for your target box? It's made of recycled foam, its soft and easy to cut.

Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of the target box once you've tested it? I'm sure our members would keen to see how well the tarp will hold up once pierced with arrows.

Again, thank you for sharing such an interesting project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: D.I.Y. archery target

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the encouraging words. Since the filler material came free from my friend's warehouse, thought I'd go with it (to keep the budget under $50). Also thought about adding castor wheels to make it easily movable. 

Will definitely post an 'After' image to show wear & tear. However, that depends on how accurately I hit the target. 😂

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects