Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. kids sandpit and chalk board

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

D.I.Y. kids sandpit and chalk board

IMG_0043.JPG
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY kids sand pit + chalk board

@LePallet

As this project is currently being featured on the Bunnings website, could you please tell us how you went about creating the sand pit and chalkboard? If you could tell us the tools and materials you used, I'm sure Workshop community members would find it useful. 

Thanks again for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Great sure @Jason

SAND PIT
As the cubby was already here, I first marked out where I wanted to build the sand pit. As I didn't have much room I was happy to just go with the standard square shape.

Once I marked out the corners I concreted a timber post in each corner (50mmx50mm), then used some scrap treated pine timber I had lying around the house for the frame (around 35mmx130mm).

I then cut the treated pine 90mm posts to the sizes I wanted, had my little boy and Partner help paint them the colours we had chosen then attached them to the timber frame with long screws and glue.
I screwed the posts from the inside frame, but I could recommend maybe to wrap some aluminium builders strapping around the out side of the posts to lock them tight for extra support).

Last part was to line the base with black plastic and fill with white beach wash sand.

CHALK BOARD
Making the chalk board was exciting because I've never worked with chalkboard paint.

The only materials I needed to make this was pallet wood, not structural ply wood and chalk board paint.

First I cut the Non Structural Ply to suite the size you want. I think I  used 3mm ply but you can go thicker if you like.
I then painted the chalkboard paint onto the plywood which I had purchased from Bunnings. Once dried i secured the board to the wall with a few screws and Sealant Adhesive mainly in the centre.
Built the frame out of Recycled Pallet Wood which is the best rustic + cost efficient way to go, you can stain the timber or I would recommend just applying a clear coat of Varnish for protection.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great stuff, many thanks for the detail @LePallet

Other community members are welcome to join in the discussion, whether you have plans for a similar project or have already built something special.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects