Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you prefer composite or timber decking?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you prefer composite or timber decking?

IMG_4579.jpgMy Fix It Feb project for the weekend was restoring our old Merbau timber deck. I've still got a third coat of oil to go, but it's looking pretty good. 

I love natural timber. It obviously requires some maintenance when exposed to the harsh Australian sun, but I reckon the extra work is worth it. 

Before starting work on the renovation of a typical 1980s suburban Australian home the Make It Happen team asked Australians whether they should install a composite or a timber deck in the backyard.

Today I'm keen to hear what you think. Would you prefer timber or composite decking boards at your place?

The new Make it Happen series kicks off this week with episode one released on Thursday. In the meantime, check out the series trailer.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Do you prefer composite or timber decking?

I liked the old Ekodeck that you could fix however you wanted to, the new stuff with system fastners not so much.

Timber for me from now on.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Brad,

You'll be pleased to know that the Classic Ekodeck range can still be pre-drilled and top-fixed with 10g decking screws. No need to use the Quickfix fasteners if you don't want to. Does that push Ekodeck back into the lead?

Mitchell

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

I really love how composite decking is low-maintenance and also eco-friendly. We have a timber deck at our house and after living here for 5 months it is already time to sand it down and stain it. Finding time to do this project is honestly the hardest part. I would prefer a deck that can look good year after year and not require all the maintenance. 

My vote is for composite. 

Katie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

In the official poll, Australians were very evenly split. 51% said they preferred natural timber, while 49% voted for composite decking to be installed. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects