Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings still sell the Matador wok?

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Does Bunnings still sell the Matador wok?

G'day Bunnings!

Do you still sell the cast iron wok that suits this 'frying cage' which I bought on clearance earlier this year? At the time I couldn't locate it?

Cheers!

Graeme.

20221213_121318.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does Bunnings still sell the Matador wok?

Hi @Noyade

I'm afraid the only wok I was able to find is the Matador Wok. Which does not look like the picture you posted. If you are after the Matador Mesh Frying Basket, I'm afraid that's no longer available. If you happen to have purchased this last set, that is indeed an excellent find.

Eric   

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @EricL 

Yeah, I thought it good value at the time but only looked at this yesterday. I was thinking of deep frying in a wok and the cardboard box blurb mentioned it accompanies the Matador Cast Iron Wok - which I couldn't locate at the time and which must have had precise dimensions for a perfect fit.

Dunno how you saute or steam with it.

20221215_103503.jpg

Looking at other woks it would appear the critical dimension is the height - 80mm. Any higher and the basket hangs by the handles on the rim creating "dead frying space."

I've created a cardboard profile and will go shopping. Another thought is a very cheap wok and cut two rectangular pieces from the rim to accommodate the baskets handles.

Cheers!

20221215_103715.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I found the perfect shoe for Cinderella yesterday afternoon...

20221216_084300.jpg

20221216_085155.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

A perfect fit @Noyade! What will you be cooking with it first? 

Katie

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @KatieC 

Tonight's menu for my autistic son, whom I love dearly - chips and nuggets. 😊

I believe strongly - this is much better than domestic electric fryers from K-mart, Big W, etc. Lot more heat generated from gas.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Noyade

I bet dinner was a big hit! 

Katie

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @KatieC 

It was! Thanks Katie!

Tonight was chips and chicken chippees. 😋

Well, he loves them - I guess that's what living in the spectrum is all about. Not the healthiest of meals (especially since he is also an insulin dependent diabetic - dieticians would cringe) but I have watched cooking shows where I'm told if deep-frying is done right - oil absorption is at a minimum. I'm dubious.

Tonight I tried three burners. Spectacular bubbling!

20221219_173533.jpg

Are you familiar with the Jamie Oliver "double dip" method of frying food? Fry for five minutes - remove from the oil for five minutes to rest - and then re-fry again until golden brown. It does work.

20221219_174042.jpg

Cheers!

Graeme.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

No, I haven't heard of Jamie Oliver's double dip method. Thank you for sharing @Noyade! I love fried "buffalo" cauliflower, I think that would be the first thing I would try with that method.    

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects