Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does bird mesh allow insects to pass through?

TheGrumpmeister
Finding My Feet

Does bird mesh allow insects to pass through?

I was at my local Bunnings today looking for bird mesh to put over the tomatoes and other fruiting crops. The white plastic mesh in store certainly stops birds, but it also appears to be so small that it stop beneficial insects from getting in to pollinate the crops.
I know there's a requirement to make it small so bird don't get tangled. Do you have anything that allows insects to pass through?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does bird mesh allow insects to pass through?

Hello @TheGrumpmeister 

Thanks for sharing your question about bird netting. Typical bird netting has a diamond shaped window with a size of 5mm x 5mm. If the net is installed tautly with a frame structure, it does allow beneficial insects to pass through. There are of course bird nettings that have a very fine structure that absolutely isolates the plants from all types of insects. 

I suggest having a good look at the netting size and spacing when you decide to purchase one. A good example is the Cyclone 4m x 10m x 5mm Backyard Farmer Anti Bird Net. Its big enough to cover an average sized tree and can be stretched to maximize the 5mm window for friendly insects. Just make sure to check the labelling before you grab one off the shelf.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

bird net.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects