Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dovecote

Bulldozer
Getting Established

Dovecote

What glue and screws/nails should I use to construct a freestanding 12mm thick structural plywood dovecote which will be outside permanently.

Dovecote
A dovecote or dovecot /ˈdʌvkɒt/ (Scots: doocot) is a structure intended to house pigeons or doves. Dovecotes may be free-standing structures in a variety of shapes, or built into the end of a house or barn. They generally contain pigeonholes for the birds to nest. Pigeons and doves were an important food source historically in Western Europe and were kept for their eggs, flesh, and dung.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Dovecote

If it is a dovecote and not a loft you may not be popular with your neighbours especially when they have washing out.

My go to outdoor glue is Sikabond PVA.

First choice screws would be Spax-m if I didn't have a Kreg jig.

Poor 2nd is countersunk chipboard screws 8g at least 30mm long and I would drill a pilot hole to try to avoid splitting.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Interesting project @Bulldozer. And great to see you've already had some suggestions from the ever-helpful @Brad. Hopefully other Workshop members can also assist. Please keep us in the loop as the project moves forward. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. I trust you will find loads of useful information and inspiration here on the site from other community members.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can make Workshop more useful for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bulldozer
Getting Established

Thanks for the advice. Got the glue as reccommended.

Bunnings had never heard of the screws. Got counter sunk chipboard screws, the second option.

Thanks for the update @Bulldozer. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes together. Please post again soon.

Jason

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Not surprised since it is not a standard bunnies item.

spax-m

Bulldozer
Getting Established

bulldozer

Dovecote

Re: bulldozer

Looks great @Bulldozer. Thanks for sharing. 

Is it for pidgeons? If so, do you race them?

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects