Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Exterior paintable flexible gap filler please?

Ange11
Growing in Experience

Exterior paintable flexible gap filler please?

Hi Guys,

I'm in need of a paintable, flexible exterior filler & I'm going cross-eyed trying to read thru what does & doesn't do what :smile: 

Pic attached - I can't remember what I used but when it cracked I put wood glue over it just to fill the cracks to stop moisture getting in. Tyia.

IMG_5919.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Exterior Paintable flexible gap filler please?

Afternoon @Ange11 

My first question is how solid is that handrail? It also looks like its at a resonable height.

As it looks like it may have been rotted in the past (and the part where all three pieces join looks like it may have been damaged?) I would actually suggest to replace that piece more then fill the hole.

I have used this product to repair holes in timber before and it has stood up. turbo 500ml builders bog It handled sanding and even curved surfaces.

(Dont think it will hold structually tho)

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Exterior paintable flexible gap filler please?

Hello @Ange11 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I'm in agreement with his recommendation. If the rail is structurally compromised it's best to replace it. However, if it is just surface damage and the filler has deteriorated, I suggest using Builders Bog. Please note that the old filler must be removed first before you apply the bog.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask when working on your project. Please make sure to take all safety precautions when working at height. Make sure to cordon off the area to prevent anyone from walking underneath while you are doing your repairs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ange11
Growing in Experience

Thanks to both Eric & Dave.

I dug out all the soft timber before applying the filler that's in there & I"ve been & got the bog.

Eric the filler that's in there isn't that old but I realised it wasn't worth applying anymore because it's cracking do I still have to dig it out to apply the bog?

Thanks so much for the wonderful help & advice.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ange11 

If the wood is damaged very badly and is starting to break don't apply the bog anymore. I suggest changing the wooden rail and returning the bog if it's unopened. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ange11,

Our number one concern here is that this appears to be a balustrade at significant height. If someone was to lean on it and it fails then significant injury could be the result. I would strongly suggest replacement for safety of you, your family and friends.

Thanks,

Jason

Ange11
Growing in Experience

I really appreciate all your concern but I've lent on it and pushed it as hard as I can & I got my friend to have a look at it too & he said it's strong. It looks worse than it is in the pic & I do appreciate the concern & I'd definitely replace the railing if that was the case.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help you provide in this forum.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ange11 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your timber rail patched and repaired.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects