Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix artificial lawn edge?

camiloporto
Just Starting Out

How to fix artificial lawn edge?

Hi,

Recently I installed an artificial lawn in my backyard. Initially, the lawn was attached to a concrete patio.

It happened that the concrete patio was not a perfect square ad the we had to "trim" the concrete to make it a perfect square. And that work disconnected the lawn. Now, I'm in the situation as shown in my pictures.

I'm looking for advice in how to "fill" the gap between the grass and the patio now.

What I currently have in mind is to fill it with white pebbles and make the gap a perfect rectangle (instead of the current weird triangle shaped thing).

I don't know how exactly I should proceed though. My plans so far is something in this direction:

1. Trim the excess of grass at the edge (the bit that is currently close/touching the patio), so the 

2. Put something to serve as the new barrier where the grass will be attached to now (I thought about a long drain, or just a garden edge).

3. Fill the gap with sand + cover with pebbles

4. Reattach the grass to whatever was set in step 2.

Questions are:

How do I attach an artificial grass to anything? Will it make any difference which barrier I should put in step 2?

Do I need a barrier at all, or should just do step 3 and attach the grass straight to the sand? Is that even possible?

Am I missing any important detail that I haven't mentioned?

Thanks all

IMG_20240429_140638 (2).jpg

IMG_20240429_140638.jpg

IMG_20240429_140638 (1).jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fix artificial lawn edge

Hi @camiloporto,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

My solution to this problem is exactly as you've described. 

You should start by cutting the artificial grass back, so the channel is perfectly parallel to the edge of the patio. Once you are happy with the spacing, install an edge such as this Tuscan Path 90mm x 10m Charcoal Composite Edging which can be fixed in place with these Tuscan Path 280mm Black Garden Edging Pegs. This will give you a nice, consistent clean line that will be pleasing to the eye.

You can then fix the artificial turf in place using Tuff Turf Synthetic Turf Anchor Nails driven through the artificial grass, into the earth at 300mm spacings.

Once everything is fixed in place, you can backfill the gap with a decorative stone such as these Tuscan Path 30-50mm 15kg White Pebbles.

This will give you a clean finish that ensures everything is adequately held in place.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects