Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Garden gate not closing with gate spring

Offcut
Getting Established

Garden gate not closing with gate spring

Hi everyone,

I have a garden gate with a gate spring on it - but it won't close completely. Photo shows a new gate spring but I can't get enough tension in the spring to make it work. I've put WD40 into the hinges to loosen them up but still no success. Tradies had taken the gate off to get equipment in - and the issue has been since then.

Could the hinges be out of alignment? What else would cause this issue?

ThanksIMG_8672.jpgIMG_8673.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden gate not closing with gate spring

Hello @Offcut

Does the gate freely swing or does it catch on something on its way back? When you say it won't completely close does it catch on the safety latch closer? Did it close properly before and did you get the same type of gate spring for the gate?

Generally, once you've installed the gate spring the tension adjustment is at the bottom of the unit. It comes with a tensioner bar and a holding pin. By turning the bottom cog clockwise it increases the tension in the spring pulling the gate tighter. My only other thoughts are that you might need a bigger spring set to close the gate.

Let me call on our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Offcut, further to @EricL's thoughts...   Is that spring in the same place as the original? 

It seems to be very angled.  It may be just a blur of the photo but there appears to be two holes in the post just to the right and below the existing mounting point on the post.  (i.e. closer to the gate itself when closed.)

Could it be that the spring was originally located there?  If it was that would provide it with a point to twist from rather than stretch and twist as it looks like it would be doing at present.

If the spring is stretching too much it will lose some of its twisting power.  

Getting the right amount of tension is tricky, but EricL's method is the way to go. You may need some strong pins to hold and tension it safely - and do it when the gate is closed, so that the spring is then wound tighter by the gate when it opens.

If you can't get it to happen then you may need to add a second spring to help with the load.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ Offcut.

I'm not a smart man - but to my eyes and logic, you have the spring on the wrong side of the post. Those springs "push" not "pull" the gate shut. Here's mine illustrated below.

As I open the the gate the spring uncoils under tension - when I let go of the gate, the coiling reverses pushing the gate shut - in a clockwise direction, which would be the same as your situation if the spring was located on the other side of the post. The tension is adjustable as per Eric's post.

20221216_191408.jpg

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Offcut 

@my gate has a spring device like yours, my spring is installed on the inside of the gate , where the gate opens inwards same as @Noyade  gate, I have this spring installed for more than twenty years, no problem at all

The spring needs to be on the opening side of the gate.

39ACF5C2-D023-4300-8E2D-D9055190FE9C.jpeg

87A75E0A-D662-4624-AF8C-13E82487D596.jpeg

91C72560-C3CA-4CF1-ACBB-AEED019058E9.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Gday Eric! @EricL 

One of the many great things about this site is it triggers memories for me.

"it comes with a tensioner bar and a holding pin."

I have no memory of the installation instructions - but I do remember (over a cup of coffee this morning) having a lotta trouble with the tension, which was all my fault as I over-engineered the gate I built and as a result it is very large and extremely heavy. It had a weak closing force and the pin that came with the kit was too small and bent.

In the end I drill-pressed a "Fourth" tension spot on the head that took a larger steel pin. Happy days - now it closes with enough force it'll break a finger if I'm not careful. 😮

20221217_074401.jpg

Offcut
Getting Established

@EricL @Noyade @JoeAzza @TedBear  Thanks all for your responses - thought I was onto something with changing the spring to the other side! Alas, the gate is not flush with the front of the post so the spring prevents the gate from opening more than about 45 degrees.

The spring has always been on the "inside" of the gate. Same screw holes. it's not my gate - it's a friends' - but I'm told it always worked prior to the gate being removed and replaced.

@Noyade - I'm bending the tensioner bar supplied and I'm not close to getting enough tension to make it close - that's just to move the pin to the next spot!

I've just put the spring on the original side, and tensioned it in the opposite direction ie turning the adjustment clockwise on the bottom as you look down on it. I'm still bending the tensioning bar and the gate is not closing from slightly ajar positions. Open it wide enough and it slams shut but half open it or have a bit of wind against it and it doesn't close. Getting very frustrating!

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

That did sound frustrating.

Interesting that it will slam shut once the initial resistance is overcome....  but not from part way.  I would be suspecting that the hinges are not swinging freely enough.

I am also wondering if they had a ball bearing inside to support the weight, which got left out when they lifted the gate off.

Another approach would be to lift the gate off the hinges and pack them with grease. That should give some support for the weight and help them swing.  

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Offcut , if all else fails, have a look at getting self closing hinges, Bunnings sell these heavy duty ones

JoeAzza_0-1671262379080.png

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Offcut 

I just noticed this in your opening post...

"Photo shows a new gate spring"

So this isn't the original spring system? Is it possible the original spring is of the traditional type - that PULLS the gate back from an open position like the old fly-screen doors of yesteryear?

What's this mark - seen on the gate frame?

Capture.PNG

Just a thought.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects