Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Has Urea fertiliser hurt our frangipani and lime trees?

katies8
Just Starting Out

Has Urea fertiliser hurt our frangipani and lime trees?

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

  

We were recommended to use Urea fertiliser to help our grass grow back. However, no change with the grass (it’s been two weeks) and now our frangipani and lime tree are shedding leaves and look like they’re dying. 
Is someone able to help?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Has Urea fertiliser hurt our frangipani and lime trees?

Hello @katies8 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about using Urea fertilizer.

Urea is a high-nitrogen fertilizer, and if applied incorrectly can burn or damage plant roots and foliage. Uneven distribution can produce excessive nitrogen levels in the soil, possibly harming plants and negatively impacting the environment through nutrient runoff.

Urea, a nitrogen-rich fertilizer, serves as an excellent lawn treatment, promoting lush greenery. This enables homeowners and hobbyists alike to optimize the beauty of their lawns, plants, and outdoor areas. However, excessive application can have the reverse effect.

At this point the damage has already been done, but the urea has a short soil lifespan and should dissipate in approximately seven days. In regards to your frangipani and lime tree, I recommend using Seasol 1.2L Seaweed Health Tonic Concentrate and observing its health. They look to be well established and hopefully will recover. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Has Urea fertiliser hurt our frangipani and lime trees?

Hi @katies8 

Just to add to Eric's welcome and sound advice, I'd suggest regular watering (every day or so) for a week or two, to assist in leaching the urea around the trees' roots deeper into the soil as quickly as possible.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects