Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I cover a cracked concrete floor?

marjoy27
Just Starting Out

How can I cover a cracked concrete floor?

I pulled down a shed and erected a Mimosa gazebo but the concrete floor is rough and cracked. Obviously the previous owner didn’t worry about the appearance of the concrete as it was to be covered by the shed.

Now I wish to paint the floor or cover it another way as the gazebo is the focal point of my garden.

59EE2B45-B35D-4677-A6C6-210E63DE050F.jpegDC882C09-16B5-473D-AA4D-03C0227C5C50.jpeg

I was looking at Jet Dry paint. Should I cover the rough and cracked area with a sealer?
Any ideas please?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can I cover a cracked concrete floor?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @marjoy27. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about covering cracked concrete.

The Berger range of paving paints would make an excellent choice for your project. I've included a helpful video guide below on how to prepare your concrete surface for painting. Those cracks are slightly more than hairlines, so it would be a good idea to fill them so they can't be seen through your paint coating. I'd suggest using Earl's 1kg Concremate Expanding Cement. You'll only need a very small portion for this project, and you might find it easiest to apply the filler into the crack with a toothpick. Fiddly work but shouldn't take more than half an hour. You could paint over these cracks, but there is a good chance you'll see them through your topcoat.

Another option to consider would be tiling the area. We have a fantastic range of natural stone pavers that would look stunning in this space. If you are looking for a little pizzazz, check out this super crazy paving project by @ElissaC.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects