Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I build footings for a wall under my deck?

abbeyroad
Just Starting Out

How do I build footings for a wall under my deck?

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to build a storage area under my deck. I decided to use 600m x 600mm concrete pavers for the floor. I should have really poured a proper slab, but I think I'm too far along now to explore that option. Anyway, I want to build a partition stud wall, but I don't know how to anchor it to the ground. I was thinking of pouring a narrow slab that goes around the perimeter of the pavers, but there's a problem. The pavers go right up to a line of house stumps, and I'm very wary of interfering with them. Any advice would be appreciated. Could I create some low concrete piers in between the stumps and anchor the wall to those? Or am I just overthinking all this and I could anchor the wall to the concrete pavers (which are 50mm deep).  Photos attached for reference. PXL_20240514_111547571.jpgPXL_20240514_111523853.MP.jpgPXL_20240514_111514520.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I build footing for a wall under my deck?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @abbeyroad. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a stud wall.

Creating a strip footer under the wall would likely be best and closer to conforming with construction codes. Provided the walls are not load-bearing, it might only need to be 150mm wide and 200mm deep. Adding a couple of lengths of reo-bar would be beneficial to its integrity.

You certainly wouldn't want to undermine the existing support footers during this process. For the area directly next to the footers, I suggest not disturbing the soil too much and instead ensuring the strip footer is adequately positioned on either side of it. Your bottom timber plate will span the gap of the strip footer.

The concrete pavers would likely provide an adequate attachment point for the wall, but that's really outside the area of standardised construction techniques.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects