Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fence my pool when I have retaining walls?

vonniedee
Getting Established

How do I fence my pool when I have retaining walls?

Hi all … we are currently 1/2 way through a backyard Reno . We have had to retain a lot of our block . The swimming pool is about to go in and I’m stuck on how to make the fence compliant . The retaining walls will raise ground level … and short of increasing the height dramatically on the boundary fence I’m a bit stuck 

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I fence my pool when I have retaining walls?

Hi @vonniedee,

Could you please share details of your current fence? I would assume you would need to extend your existing fence height. Is it perhaps a Colorbond fence that would accomodate extensions?

We had the same scenario when we levelled our backyard as part of a project that added a new backyard studio and pool. We used Merbau to build removable fence extensions and also painted the fence as we ended up with new boards alongside the old.   

Jason

Jason_1-1622522220194.jpeg IMG_1165.JPG

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
vonniedee
Getting Established

Thanks Jason … hoping you can see the pics I posted ? - the fence is colourbond .. however the retaining wall sits just adjacent to it .. image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @vonniedee 

One of the main concerns of pool inspectors is accessibility. Any fence that you put in front of your pool must be child safe and compliant. They must not be able to climb it or have any form of foothold that will allow them to climb the fence and unlock the safety latch of the pool gate.

If the retaining wall near the Colorbond fence needs to be covered, I suggest having a look at the Specrite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel

I also recommend speaking to your local council's pool inspector and clarifying with them if that section needs to be covered or only the front part of your pool area needs to be fenced and gated.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects