Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you make scaffolding using 2 extension ladders?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How do you make scaffolding using 2 extension ladders?

I've found 'ladder jacks' online that can be attached to ladders so you can put a board between them, but didn't find any on the Bunnings website.

Does Bunnings sell any hardware that can be used to make a platform between two extension ladders.

I'm looking for a low cost scaffolding solution for a one time project, I already have 2 extension ladders.

Renting scaffolding would get expensive as I only have a couple hours a day every so often so the project may take a couple weeks.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do you make scaffolding using 2 extension ladders

Hi @Steve5,

What sort of job are you going to be undertaking with the said ladders and at what sort of height are we talking?

Generally, extension ladders are only meant to be used as a single unit not in tandem, and I'm not sure that they are designed to have planks put on top of the rungs.

After all, extension ladders are only for having people climb them and work off them.

If you could please give us more information on what you intend to do, I'm sure we can help you out.

Cheers,

Mike T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5 

I'm sorry but the store currently does not stock ladder jacks. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the product. 

However, if you are after a flat stepping surface on an extension ladder, I suggest looking at the Little Giant Ladder Accessary Work Platform. Please double check the size and width of your ladder and inside step width to make sure that the platform fits your ladder. There is also the Gorilla Mighty Ladder Platform And Project Tray. It can be used as both stepping platform and project tray.

Please remember to take all necessary safety precautions when working at height.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mike,

I want to install ember guard to keep leaves from blocking the gutters on a shed.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-190mm-x-4m-stainless-steel-ember-mesh-ultra_p3041135

The roof line is about 3m high and I need to be standing about 1.3 high.

I decided to use 3 extension ladders so i can have a 4m span to ease installing the 4m long mesh.

I have some 4m lengths of 45mm X 100mm boards for the span.

Once I get everything setup and level, I'll put stakes in the ground to keep the ladders in place.

Still thinking about whether/how to attach the ladders to the stakes.

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi Eric,

Here's one ladder jack I am looking at:  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/314961296016  

The Gorilla Mighty Ladder Platform And Project Tray looks like it could be helpful.

The listing indicates it fits Gorilla Mighty Multi-Purpose Ladders.

I've got a Gorilla 2.4-3.9m 150kg Aluminium Industrial Extension Ladder, is this in that category?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/gorilla-2-4-3-9m-150kg-aluminium-industrial-extension-ladder_p0861039

My other extension ladder is a similar design and I'm looking at a Syneco 2.4 - 3.9m 120kg Aluminium Extension Ladder for the 3rd ladder:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/syneco-2-4-3-9m-120kg-aluminium-extension-ladder_p0419896

Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5 

Allow me to double check that its compatible with the Gorilla 2.4-3.9m 150kg Aluminium Industrial Extension Ladder. As soon as I have more information, I'll get back to you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Steve5,

That's all good, mate, when you mentioned extension ladders, I was suspecting 5-7 metres up in the air, which is not safe in anyone's language.

I work at heights a lot during my daily work, I hate it, but what you should look at is possibly hiring a couple of "Transformer ladders" from say Kennards or somewhere better (they are quite hard to deal with) and a decent set of platform planks, that lock into the ladders themselves.

No-one wants a fall from height at any time of the year, especially this time of the year when you're tired and over things.

No-one also wants to be in a plaster cast over Christmas and New Years,

Go easy...

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yeah, I experimented with the setup a bit and decided it was best to use the 3 extension ladders without platforms or boards between them.

I spaced them about 400mm apart so I could easily work on a 2m span.

Working with different lengths of metal ember gutter guard showed 1m lengths were the easiest to work under the roof panels so used 2 ladders.

Definitely best to play it safe.

Thanks

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi Eric,  They work on all my ladders.  Cheers

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @Steve5 

Just outta curiosity - what planks are/were you going to use?

Cheers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects