Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a timber fence extension?

Evie21
Finding My Feet

How to add a timber fence extension?

Hi, 

I have a post and rail timber fence and just purchased the 2400mm treated pine extensions. I did watch the installation video on your web site but did not pay attention to the fact that the fence shown in the video did not have the top rail installed. My top is to wide to slip the fence extension over and I do have the rails on my side of the fence and cannot access it from the more flatter other side.

How can I fasten the extension on my side so that it is nice and sturdy and does not wobble?

Thank you for looking into this.

16559514579245158630171037111057.jpg

IMG_20220620_082943.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Timber Fence extension

Hi @Evie21 

Are these the extensions you're referring to?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Evie21

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your timber fence extension. 

Before I make any recommendations, I just wanted to confirm that it is the Lattice Makers 2400 x 500mm Paling Fence Extension that you purchased for your fence extension? If it is, you can still mount it onto your fence, but you'll need to add additional bracing timber or post extension such as the 70 x 35mm L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine

Unfortunately, this fence extension kit is built to slide into single panel fencing with no timber fence cap. The extended legs will have to be cut off so that you can mount them directly onto the post extensions. I've placed an example of how the extension can be installed, please let me know what you think.   

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W @TedBear and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your fence extensions installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

These are the extenders https://www.bunnings.com.au/lattice-makers-2400-x-500mm-paling-fence-extension_p0189433

I thought of sawing the legs of one side and just fastening the other side to the horizontal rail. 

If I need more strengthening I could pack up behind the legs and fasten to the actual fence slats a bit more. Also the lady I. Bunnings recommended to join each panel to each other on the top. That hopefully should be strong enough?

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. 

Please see my reply to Noyade above.

Thanks Evie 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Evie21

Thanks for letting us know how you plan to proceed. Please just keep in mind that should you need to reinforce the fence extension to use treated timber H3 so that they will be protected from the elements and insect attacks. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Hi EricL

I'm pleased to advise that the panels are staying up nice and strong with 2 screws in each of the legs and then joining the panels at the top to each other.

The only problem was the poor finish on the panels and we put more screws in where they were just nailed together.

So far 3 out of 6 panels are up. We will trim the legs to the height of the top rail. 

Thanks everybody for your advise and help.

Evie

IMG_20220624_132949.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Evie21

Thank you very much for that update. Those fence extensions look very good, I'm glad you found a method of screwing them into place. I'm sure our members who are in the same situation will find your project very useful. 

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects