Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add lattice extension to cement sheet fence?

muddy
Just Starting Out

How to add lattice extension to cement sheet fence?

My fence extension is on top of a cement sheet fence it has a metal cap on it do I remove the cap or not ? What do you recommend .  I already have a creeper to grow into it . I'm thinking hardwood lattice but not sure how to fix it

16103291315347789314746773819911.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lattice extension on cement sheet fence

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @muddy. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

Before you do any work to that fence, I need to point out that there is a very high likelihood that it is asbestos sheeting and should not be disturbed. Please see this guide for dealing with asbestos and the precautions to take around it.

If the fence extension is already in place, I would suggest fixing the lattice directly to its face with Zenith 10G x 40mm Gold Passivated Countersunk Head Metal Screws. Alternatively, if you could take some closer images of the extension channels, we might be able to offer some other solutions.

Please let me know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc,

Like @muddy I also want to extend my Hardiflex fence, with plastic lattice. I’ve had them lab tested for asbestos and can confirm they do not contain any. Can you tell me the best (strongest) way to attach an extension? I’d like to screw the lattice directly on to the face of the existing fence, but judging from what I can see of the neighbour’s fixings, I think this would require access to both sides of the fence.

3E900761-A436-4394-A4E6-4217E30660D6.jpeg

21B65AF4-A0D8-49A7-8DB3-5C80FC02A281.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Louise7. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about extending a fence.

Could you let our helpful members know what type of plastic lattice you intend to fix to the fence? That way, they'll have a better idea of solutions they can suggest. If it's something like the Matrix fence extensions, they are to be used in combination with a frame and legs. The extension legs are what you'll be screwing into the fence. That shouldn't be an issue; you'll need to position your fixings in the profile below the fence's fixings. Do you happen to know what the fence frame is made from?

I think the biggest hurdle you'll need to overcome is the capping on the top. The capping will prevent you from fixing the legs into the troughs of the profile. You could drill corresponding holes through the top of the capping to slide the extension's legs down before fixing them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

FX1.pngFX2.png

Thanks MitchellMc, that’s a good suggestion. And yes, it is the matrix lattice I’m looking to use. Much appreciated. 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Louise7, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Hi MitchellMc,

Does Bunnings supply the second type of Matrix fence extension kit? The Design Flow website says it can be got in as a Special Order, but I can’t see it listed. It’s the

“2410x600mm Matrix Privacy Diamond or Reeded Diamond Lattice with a galvanised and powder coated C-channel steel frame all around with mounting legs for fixing to a fence or wall.” I’m interested in. Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Your best bet would be to chat with a helpful Special Orders team member at your local store @Louise7. We can order any product from our suppliers. As you can imagine, there are hundreds of thousands of off-range projects from our many suppliers. Having them all on our webpage is not feasible, but if the supplier indicates it's available, we can order it for you.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties placing your order for the item.

Mitchell

Hi MitchellMc,

For drilling holes in the capping, the fence post is going to be bigger than my drill hole. Do I drill multiple holes around the outside and punch it through, or is there a better way? I’m looking at using a 50x50 galvanised post which would attach to the timber frame on the neighbour’s side. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Louise7,

Do you intend to use a 50mm post with the method I described above? My advice was for placing the Matrix screen legs through the capping as they are quite thin. If you were to cut holes for the 50mm post in the capping, is there enough room for the post to fit within the fence profile? I can't see how that would work, but I might be misinterpreting what you're thinking of doing.

If you need to have larger holes than what you can drill, I'd suggest you start the cutout with a single drill hole and then cut out the section with aviation snips. You can do what you've suggested, but you'll end up with some pretty rough holes.

If you can provide a few more details on your plan I'd be happy to assist further.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects