Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to affix polystyrene cladding to concrete roof at front entrance of 1940s clinker brick house?

luckyphilh2os
Finding My Feet

How to affix polystyrene cladding to concrete roof at front entrance of 1940s clinker brick house?

5E17E55E-181A-4C9F-AD94-B412ECEAABE4.jpegFE52CB92-1F39-44E8-94E0-679ADFEC95D2.jpegAFE0F229-B04B-47AF-90F9-B22D51148FCE.jpegD5E0E442-0C97-485E-B458-E6790C20F8E1.jpeg0976CC6E-DB92-4F57-8682-26FA5FFBBB1D.pngRoofer broke off claddingRoofer broke off cladding

I need something better than glue. Any suggestions please.I need something better than glue. Any suggestions please.

Hello. Recently we had our roof tiles replaced.

The roofer used the concrete roof over the front entrance for access to the roof. 
The polystyrene cladding broke and fell off.

Now I need to re dress the edge of the concrete to reclaim the street appeal the house previously had.

If anyone has a better solution than rendered polystyrene I’m open to any suggestions.

I believe polystyrene was used  because the structure isn’t its best and it (polystyrene) isn’t a heavy load.

I am hoping for a better, stronger hanging/ joining solution than the glue that was previously used.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Philip from East Malvern

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to affix polystyrene cladding to concrete roof at front entrance of 1940s clinker brick hous

G'day Phil. @luckyphilh2os 

Any idea when it was previously glued and with what?

Did the roofer offer to fix this?

I know you don't want to go down the glue pathway again. But I would like to introduce you to this one - can't fault it. I have chipped concrete step corner pieces still attached and weight-bearing after 8 years. I don't know how long it's been around. Worth a try?

Just a thought. Hope ya get it fixed.

20240422_092217.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to affix polystyrene cladding to concrete roof at front entrance of 1940s clinker brick h...

Hi @luckyphilh2os,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, It's great to have you with us.

I'd agree with @Noyade, that a high strength construction adhesive such as the Selleys Liquid Nails Rapid Cure that he has shown or Sikaflex®-118 Extreme Grab would be good to stick the foam back in place. This would require you to thoroughly clean the area and remove the remaining glue from where it was originally stuck in place.

Can I ask what the surface that the polystyrene cladding has fallen off of is made of?

If this surface is foam, like in freezer panels, this may be your only option. If it is timber, you might like to consider replacing it with a fascia board of a suitable size such as this 180 x 19mm 3.6m Fascia H3 Treated Pine Primed Bullnose LOSP. It can then be joined at the corner with a nice mitre and painted to match the rest of the house.

Let me know what you think and I can assist further.

Jacob

Re: How to affix polystyrene cladding to concrete roof at front entrance of 1940s clinker brick hous

Thanks mate. Much appreciated. 

Re: How to affix polystyrene cladding to concrete roof at front entrance of 1940s clinker brick h...

G’day Jacob

Thanks for your assistance.

The surface the cladding was attached to was concrete. The entire landing roof is concrete.

I painted the face where the cladding was so it wasn’t so in your face.

Before painting I removed the glue and removed loose powdered surface to get to a paintable surface.

The other cladding that remains appears to have a thin dress layer like a ply that looks like it’s been damaged also.

The roofer won’t be returning. My choice.

I’m thinking maybe marine ply, glued and screwed, over the top of the remaining cladding, and the same for the face.

Then rendered. 
What are your thoughts please Jacob?

Hi @luckyphilh2os,

Unfortunately, because marine ply will expand and contract with weather, it is not a suitable substrate for render. You would find over time that because the timber "breathes" the render will crack and fail.

If the surface beneath is concrete, I don't see a need to add an additional layer over the top. You could just remove the cladding from the other side, clean up the surface as best you can and render straight on to the concrete beneath. This would be a cheaper and more effective method of rendering the surface.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Thanks for letting me know about the marine ply.

On closer inspection, the front entrance entire roof structure above the brick pillars should be replaced.

Its all still solid enough, but the rendered polystyrene surround was icing, hiding structural issues that need attention.

Again, thanks for your help Jacob.

Bunnings has, and always will be, my go to place of choice.

Hi @luckyphilh2os,

If you're seeing structural issues, you should contact a suitably qualified tradesperson as soon as possible. I'd hate for anyone to be injured needlessly.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob.

i won’t be standing on that rhs overhang anytime soon, but the 

main structure is solid.

Thanks for the advise.

Its now a  priority.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects