Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shade to a pergola?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

How to attach shade to a pergola?

Looking for suggestions on how to tackle shade options to attach to my stratco sanctuary pergola that was put up a short while back. 

My yard gets very harsh west sun in the late afternoon/evenings and ultimately makes this area pointless. 

Pergola is also a custom size 3.48m width.

Unsure of where to start. 

20240119_200932.jpg

20240119_200817.jpg

20240119_200856.jpg

20240119_202239.jpg

Difficult to get great pictures but hopefully the message gets through. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Options to shade a stratco sanctuary pergola

Love your work, @amySA! That looks like a great semi-permanent solution.

For the wall, I'd cut a length of 42 x 18mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening down to the height of your shadecloth. Position it against the wall and mark the top, middle, and bottom where it aligns with your mortar lines in the bricks. Pre-drill holes in the timber at these marks with a 5mm timber drill bit. Use a STAHL Masonry Kit 8mm Drill With 50mm Blue Wall Plugs to drill holes in the mortar at the mounting locations and tap in the plugs.

Wrap the shade cloth one and a half rotations around the timber and place it against the wall. Screw through the three holes and into the mortar with the screws included in the STAHL kit.

You can also use this method to neaten up your attachment method to the posts; just use metal self-drilling screws to attach the timber screening to the posts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @amySA 

You  can add more shade  cloth like on the fence side like  you allready did with a timber rod  at the bottom to weight it.  

A bbq if it suits  your plans will also block half that light,

amySA
Cultivating a Following

All great ideas thank you. 

I have seen some posts with people installing permanent shade screening using the Jack's products. 

Anyone think it could be viable to possible use the concrete stabilising plates and install something like that for covering half the length of the open side? 

It would be quite close to the paving area, unsure if that would have any implications. 

1706076793266970993766330445263.jpg

Hi @amySA 

Have you considered a removable shade using Taskmaster 5 x 50mm 316 Stainless Steel Snap Hook. This will allow you to remove the shade when you don't need it. It would also be possible to shift the position of the shade, another way would be to use the shade cloth to extend the shade cover of the pergola.

Eric

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @EricL snap hook would be a great idea, I think I'd rather something I could keep up most of the time. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You could certainly use the Jack's Screen-Up products @amySA. An individual paver wouldn't be adequate for mounting, but there are side pieces that allow you to connect directly to your brickwork and those would be suitable.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects