Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach shade to a pergola?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

How to attach shade to a pergola?

Looking for suggestions on how to tackle shade options to attach to my stratco sanctuary pergola that was put up a short while back. 

My yard gets very harsh west sun in the late afternoon/evenings and ultimately makes this area pointless. 

Pergola is also a custom size 3.48m width.

Unsure of where to start. 

20240119_200932.jpg

20240119_200817.jpg

20240119_200856.jpg

20240119_202239.jpg

Difficult to get great pictures but hopefully the message gets through. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Options to shade a stratco sanctuary pergola

Hi @amySA 

I really detest that late westerly sun so I will try give you a few options to try tame it,

In the budget range options not all to your liking but options

I would plant a row of trees tall and slender near the fence line, so you can still see whole yard or a hedge  closer in towards your pergola along the gravel line this will block the sun and give you  two zones in your yard make your yard seam bigger.  Down side is plants take a few years to grow to sun blocking size.  So you can use tallest in expensive  color bond fence posts and string shade  cloth across mean while.

Using your pergola posts string shade cloth across the top  of the post or full length.

Or color bond  posts and wire trellis fast growing vine like star jasmine or honey suckle 

Medium costs 

Put in waist height planter boxes and medum size plants to filter to light not completly block starting to form and out door room.

Good  spot for your BBQ and a serving  area put in behind to the roof line siloette panels would  really stand out  you can always put white polycarbonate roof sheets behind that or Sparking beehive roofing either clear or gray shading. Make use of the light.

A  cement bottled wall would look incredible with the sun shining  through different colored bottles a real stand out feature powered by the sun. 

Out door blinds 

Coolaroo 3M wide x2.4m Crank Operated Extra Wide Outdoor Blind Graphite

https://www.bunnings.com.au/coolaroo-3M x2-4m-crank-operated-extra-wide-outdoor-blind-graphite_p0491...

I/N: 0491278

$199

Create an out door  room 3 sides  More  cost but not excessive

Windoware Outdoor Quiklok Sunscreen blind 3x2.4m Night Sky

CAN BE CUSTOM  MADE

$493.50

• Easy DIY Install, No ropes, No cords, No pulleys.
  • Adjustable Lock-in Positioning.
  • Cut to Size Available.
The QuikLok Channel Guided outdoor blind, is your easy DIY outdoor blinds solution.

The Channel guided system holds your blind in place, and lets you lock your blind to any height along the channel.

No Ropes, no cords or pulleys.

Simply unlock.
Pull the blind too your desired height.
Lock in place.

Well some start up options to help free your imagination.

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply! 

Always interested in using plants as shade as a preference although you are right, will take some time. 

Temporary shade cloth would be my first option as a immediate shade although unsure how I would attach as It does also get a bit windy here being so open. 

A permanent blind option would likely be something I would be interested in, unsure how to mount to the Pergola, hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me? 

Hi @amySA 

Shade cloth can wrap around post and atttach to its self using light wire like a thread, or a heavy duty twine,  Hold it up high like holding your socks up a simple wire  hook to roof or  other.

You could metal screw timber to the posts and screw or staple  shade cloth to that too.

Wind  wont catch shade cloth as is  allows wind through not like sail cloth. 

permanant blind  option will have channels the blind slots into these channel made for your custom  space will metal screw the blind channels to your existing posts The  blind  people will want to know gap between posts  take a top measurement and bottom parrallel measurement and use the smallest measurement.

Keep an open mind as there are other blind  companys too with different styles some electric  if you wish but mounting will be very similar.

hope this  helps

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks, I think I am understanding the temporary option in attaching to the sides. Attaching anything to the top is a little difficult as there Gutter and beam are so closely attached there is no gap/holes to be able to thread anything through.

The timber attachment might be an idea however I haven't worked much with metal and I'm not sure how to attach this? 

I think in term of purchasing a blind I'd be more inclined to avoid the channel blinds, perfect the roller blind look.

Previously sought out prices from blind companies and nearly fell over with what the costs involved were 😅 with and without installation costs.  Didn't seem viable to spend 1/2 of the cost of the Pergola itself on one blind! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @amySA. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about shading a pergola.

Some great suggestions from @Jewelleryrescue there. 

It's quite easy to attach timber to metal through the use of metal self-drilling screws. They're quick to use as no pre-drilling of the metal is required. Once you install a timber beam between the upright posts, you'll be able to install the vast majority of outdoor blinds.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply @MitchellMc 

Would you suggest I attach the timber to the face of the upright posts? Unsure how I would do it between then specifically.

My other idea I had would be running cable wire along sides and top, securing with eyebolt hooks through posts and then attaching shade cloth with shade cloth butterfly clips. This would be I guess a little bit more fiddly but would sit flush. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Face mounting will be the easiest approach, @amySA. You could position the timber flush in between the posts, and you'd need to predrill the post and use long timber screws through the posts into the end of the timber.

I like your idea of the cable and shade cloth, though you're correct that it could be slightly fiddly. I think using a blind would give more functionality and a more professional level of finish overall.

Mitchell

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc I think I understand. I have temporarily fixed a shade cloth with zip ties for upcoming hot weather until I can get to work on something more permanent. 

As @Jewelleryrescue suggested also looking into some raised beds, considering something perhaps like clumping bamboo or that might grow high to block.

Unfortunately with my temporary attachment of shade cloth and watching the sun it hasn't quite covered all the areas I was hoping. Even with the future blind plan I will still have hot afternoon sun coming through on this angle as you can see 

20240122_164645.jpg

20240122_165731.jpg

On this side there is no additional post as it connects to the roof. 

20240122_165722.jpg

 Any ideas? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @amySA 

My suggestion is to make sure that you are using Coolaroo 3.66m Graphite 90% UV Heavy Duty People Cover Shade Cloth. I have the same material in my garage and it effectively cuts down on everything including glare from the sun.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects