Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach wall panel to front of wooden sleeper retaining wall?

anubakshi
Just Starting Out

How to attach wall panel to front of wooden sleeper retaining wall?

Hi Team,

We are planning to do a DIY renovation in our pergola and want to hide these old worn out sleeper retainers. 

Will we be able to use https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-1800-x-902mm-pre-oiled-merbau-alternating-slat-fence-panel_p850...  Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel to these using just screws. 

This would be our first DIY project and we're so impressed looking at so many innovative uses of the Merbau panel.

Kind regards,

AnuIMG_2274.JPG

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to attach wall panel to front of wooden sleeper retaining wall?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @anubakshi. It's an absolute pleasure having you join our wonderful community of D.I.Y. enthusiasts who are sharing projects, asking for advice and exchanging handy D.I.Y. tips and tricks on the site everyday. 

Congratulations on starting your first D.I.Y. project - so exciting! I'm sure our knowledgeable members will be happy to help provide some suggestions on the best way to hide those sleeper retainers. 

Let me mention @diy_hausdesigns@Itai@Jewelleryrescue and @TedBear to get the discussion going. 

Keep us updated as your progress with this project. We'd love to be part of your journey and see the final results.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @anubakshi 

Those are  nice panels too use  good choice. 

I would  pre drill your panels so the screws dont split the timbers.

Use about 40mm long wood screws as those logs will bow in and out and at places the extra length will be needed.

Now as a DIYer you  will quickly discover those  panels wont be a  perfect fit for your existing opening. so there panels will lend them selfs to be trimed to size.  But  we might need to add extra timber stripes behind the slats  like whats already there to support your cut. There four cross slats per sheet,  just add new ones near the cuts at need.

When you use extra ribs you can trim your panels to any size.

So buy your panels measure the cross timber rear bits and buy a length of that if you need it.  I would use  Liquid nails  exterior glue only to hold the new rib in place  Before you cut it. wait 30 mins for glue to partially set.

Hope  this helps Nice DIY

Hi @anubakshi 

Welcome and Glad to have you as part of the community 

I had a similar situation in one of my projects and the community was really helpful. Have a look at my Feature wall fence with Matrix screen panels project. Think it should help out.

Warm regards 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @anubakshi 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue and @diy_hausdesigns. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend installing the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel at least 25mm off the ground to prevent it from getting wet. 

Not only will it prevent the panel from getting constant wet feet, but it will also extend its service life. I also propose doing a test fit of the panel, this will give you an idea of where the gaps will be or where might need to add timber inserts. This will help you get a uniform straight installation along the length of your retaining wall.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects