Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a 6m x 3.5m deck?

makhan006
Just Starting Out

How to build a 6m x 3.5m deck?

9D6786FC-772F-4206-908B-1FF0FF831594.jpeg

Hi Everyone

i am planning to build 6meter long and 3.5m wide deck. 

i am based in Auckland and i was wondering if anyone would like to share idea about design and if bunnings store provide any help to get the timber and advise?

cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a 6m x 3.5m deck?

Hi @makhan006,

I think you are best advised to start here - How to plan out your deck. You'll notice it is part of a comprehensive seven-part series on How to build a deck.

We also have how-to guides here on the Workshop community, as well as plenty of inspiration such as our Top 10 most popular deck projects and Inspiring low-level deck builds.

What is the structure in the foreground of your photo? It looks like you already have a deck of some sort? 

Once you have a clear plan on what you'd like to achieve, I'm sure our helpful community will be more than happy to assist.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a 6m x 3.5m deck?

Hello @makhan006

Thank you for sharing your question about how to build a 6 x 3.5-meter deck. Looking at your photo, it looks like there is already a deck present. Will you be connecting to this deck at the same level? How big is that deck in the foreground? I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This will give you an idea of what you need to take into consideration when making your decking plans.

A commonly used timber framing size is 90 x 45mm L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine. You can use bigger timber framing sizes, but I don't recommend going any smaller than that. If you don't plan on digging into the ground to plant posts, I suggest looking at Builders Edge Pedestal Feet. These are designed to go on top of pavers and are fully adjustable so that you can get a level frame.

Here are some fantastic decking projects our Workshop members have shared:

These decking projects should give you an idea of how to plan your decking frame and in which direction your decking panels will be running in. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects