Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a Pine deck over brick pavers?

Nick1
Just Starting Out

How to build a Pine deck over brick pavers?

Hi All 👋🏼 

Looking for advise on a new deck installation please. Looking at Span tables and forums is leading to conflicting info. 

Current POA below:

Deck dimensions 4650mm x 3600mm

Currently 200mm from brick pavers to door lip (no step)

Deck bearers 90 x 45 MP10 (4650 length)

1800mm spacing 

Joists 90 x 45 MP10 (hangers need to be used due to clearance)

450mm spacing 

Posts 90 x 90

Notched for bearers 

1800mm spacing 

Concrete Set at 600mm depth

Questions:

1. Are above materials and spacings sufficient ? 

2. The bearers run perpendicular to the house away from the sliding door, how do these get secured on the house side. Holes for posts will probably be difficult with concrete foundations at the extremity ? Can beefed up hangers be used on the house brickwork ? 

3. The deck will run slightly out of square (4650mm vs 4850mm) on the leading edge away from the house, will this be an issue ?

Many thanks in advance 🙏🏻   

Picture of very similar plan below

B16C587F-9FB5-4848-AC89-A576AAD033FC.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pine Deck over Brick Pavers

Hello @Nick1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your deck project.

In order for our members to get a better understanding of your layout, would it be possible for you to post a drawing of your decking frame plan? You mentioned a usable gap space of 200mm is this uniform for the entire area or does it slope in a particular direction? The materials you mentioned are perfectly fine. However, I suggest adding more footing to the structure, I propose a spacing of 1 meter to prevent your deck from being springy. 

If you're building something similar to the picture above, I recommend building it as a floating framed deck. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the proposed installation area? Our members can then assess if there is a viable anchor point on the concrete area you were mentioning. One option is to use Builders Edge Pedestal Feet in combination with pavers. Building it as a floating frame means that you will not have to put any mounting stress on your house wall.

I suggest having a look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc.

I also recommend having a look at the Bunnings deck assembly guide: 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects