Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck over uneven lawn?

jude55
Finding My Feet

How to build a deck over uneven lawn?

Hi All

I want to build a deck in fron of my little unit. It is currently just uneven lawn in a clay soil.

Can I use screw pedestal system as the bearers for the joists?

🌻Jude

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a deck over uneven lawn?

@jude55 

Hi @jude55 

Your screw pedestal system to support the bearers sound like a  good  plan as long as it wont move and is off the ground.

Please ask more questions as a deck is well worth getting built right the first time/

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jude55 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a deck on uneven lawn.

In order to get a good stable surface, I suggest using a compactor to level the soil. I also recommend building in a slight fall so that water will drain away from the area and not sit or settle in one spot. I propose cutting the lawn down to bare earth and using weedmat and drain gravel to facilitate drainage.

The suggested sequence is to place the weedmat on the levelled surface then place a paver on where you plan on putting a pedestal. There will be some slight settling, so I suggest double checking the height of your pedestals before permanently mounting the frame. Once the pedestals are put in you can then put the drain gravel in place over the weedmat.

I suggest having a quick look at this featured project - Low-level composite deck over concrete and soil by @oninpena. It's a good example of a low-level deck that goes over concrete and on soil.

I also recommend having a look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you

Thank you for that Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects