Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deconstructed granite path?

ncampbell
Just Starting Out

How to build a deconstructed granite path?

Hi all, currently building a pathway through two new mulched garden beds.

We'll be using deconstructed granite bounded by metal edging (using the bunnings "Jack outdoor oxy shield  flexible garden edging" system) . Base is alluvial soil. Path use would be light foot traffic. So i'm wondering what depth of Deco i  should be looking at, and if i need a base under it to stabilize the earth?

Picture is work in Progress. Other side of path edging not in yet an edging not staked down yet

Any other tips gratefully receivedpath.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a deconstructed granite path?

Hello @ncampbell 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about using deconstructed granite.

If you are digging into the soil, I propose a depth of 100mm. You then compact the soil and place weed mat first. It's then followed by road base which is usually 50mm in depth and then that's compacted and levelled. The purpose of the road base is usually for drainage.

The deconstructed granite can now be put in. It is slowly put in shallow layers hosed off with a bit of water and compacted and levelled. This process is repeated until you reach your desired level which is typically 50mm. The purpose of the layering is to lock the granite in place and prevent movement. 

My best advice is to make sure that the layers have a slight fall so that the path does not hold water.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects