Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a frame around a pillar on balcony to use as a surface for fixing to?

minklet
Building a Reputation

How to build a frame around a pillar on balcony to use as a surface for fixing to?

I'd like to block the wind and create a bit of shelter for a section of my balcony. Strata unit in NSW*. What I'd like to do is put up a shade sail 'wall', or an aluminium slatted fence, to reduce the effect of wind coming up through this opening and creating a wind tunnel effect. The section is about 2m wide and 3m tall. So either a sail track floor to ceiling, shade sail fixtures or a screen up post (or similar) would work imo. 

I have a pillar on my balcony that is hollow concrete sheets. I suspect that it's got some kind of HVAC vent inside it. I have been told I could fix to it, but I would need an engineers report, a bylaw and all the rest that makes it harder. Plus if it causes damage it's extremely expensive. The other side is a solid wall, this can be fixed to. A floor to ceiling post might be possible, by affixing to the hob and the ceiling, but I'd rather not if I can avoid it due to potential waterproofing issues and more strata worries

What I'm thinking is to create a frame that wraps around the pillar, without drilling into it. This can then be the base for the fixtures. I am not sure what to use to make it tho, possibly galvanised steel or aluminium tubing. I can't weld, so would need brackets that would be strong enough for the lateral forces.

apImr.jpg

Any ideas for materials and putting something together that wouldn't be dangerous? It gets very strong winds, but in the case of a shade sail, the failure point would have to be the sail track

*I have to come up with a solution before taking it to strata for permission, but I'm aware I can't just do something like this without approval due to it changing the look of the building.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a frame around a pillar on balcony to use as a surface for fixing to?

Hello @minklet 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a frame around your balcony.

Materials wise, I suggest using Australian Handyman Supplies 50 x 50mm x 2.4m Galvanised Steel Fence Post. It has excellent corrosion resistance and can be painted in different colours. Steel is stronger than a timber frame and will last longer when exposed to the elements. Your suggestion of using aluminium square posts is possible, however, aluminium is a soft metal and might not withstand the the strong winds in your balcony. 

I recommend using a nut and bolt assembly to join them together so that you can easily take it apart if necessary.  

I've placed a sketch of the steel posts to give you an idea of how they could be joined together.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to build a frame around a pillar on balcony to use as a surface for fixing to?

Hi @minklet, anther suggestion - have you considered wrapping the post in rope?  

With suitable thick rope, glued in places along the way, it could be a good looking feature while also giving you something to attach protection to.

I suggest adding some hooks into the rope at appropriate heights to sit your purpose, while wrapping it.

minklet
Building a Reputation

Interesting idea! I'll have a think but I suspect it'd be too large to really work, it's roughly 1.1m x 40cm, and because it would be exposed to a lot of southerly coastal weather I think it would have to be quite expensive rope to survive. Also I don't think strata would go for it as it wouldn't be very in keeping with the rest of the building. I like the ingenuity tho, I have a smaller pillar on the courtyard that I want to fix things to, and this might work.

@EricL Thanks for the diagram, that's a good idea with fixing it together. I wonder if 25mm posts would be strong enough? These perhaps. Is there a way to find out the strength of these? https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-25-x-25-x-1-6mm-3m-galvanised-steel-square-tube_p1130469

Edit: Actually from some cursory googling, I suspect that at that thickness and that diameter, it wouldn't be very strong in the middle.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @minklet 

I chose the bigger steel posts for exactly that reason. Once you start drilling into the smaller square bar it starts to compromise the overall strength of the steel. I suggest making a preliminary sketch of the complete cover that you have in mind and then sharing it with the community.

Our members can then have a look and make suggestions to your assembly before you engage the services of an engineer. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects