Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck on concrete and gravel?

nikhilgoyal2010
Just Starting Out

How to build a low-level deck on concrete and gravel?

I am planning a DIY deck for area 4300mm (3500mm concrete + 800mm pebbles) * 3800mm (2800mm concrete + 1000mm pebbles) and height is about 155mm. Apologies for bad photo and edits.

outdoor deck.jpg

I have also made decking timber frame blue prints on draw.io.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 9.30.01 am.png

I need advices on below:

1. How should i lift the whole frame for a height of 46 mm?

2. what should i use for the pebbles to hold the frame (concrete post or just concrete pavers)?

3. would love to get feedback on timber frame blueprints

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a low-level deck on concrete and gravel?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and thanks for sharing this exciting project with us @nikhilgoyal2010.

Apologies for slow reply. We're missing one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts at the moment as Mitch is taking a well-earned break. I'm sure the ever-helpful @EricL will be happy to assist as soon as possible, as well as other members that have built popular low-level decks like @jase2@siran@Jitesh and @Backyardtradie

In the meantime, hope you can check out the guide How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and get some helpful tips. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nikhilgoyal2010 

My apologies for the late reply. If you have a usable gap of 46mm, I suggest having a look at the Builders Edge 35 - 60mm Smallfoot Pedestal Feet or Dunnings 60 x 100 x 35mm M10 Galvanised Angle Bracket or similar. Generally, the frame is assembled and mounted one joist at a time. However, building the frame and then lifting it will require you to use wood or brick spacers so that you can position the pedestal feet in place. Between the two I recommend building it one by one.

For the pebbled area, I recommend using 40mm concrete pavers for ease of installation in combination with plastic packers to make up for the difference. 

Your decking plan looks very well planned out. I also suggest having a look at this featured project - Low-level composite deck over concrete and soil by @oninpena . It's an excellent example of how you can use angled brackets in combination with the foot pedestals. This would also be a good time to consider if you want a picture frame.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL 

Thank You for your reply.

Regards,

Nikhil

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects