Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck over concrete and grass?

Ryan1980
Getting Established

How to build a low-level deck over concrete and grass?

@MitchellMc @EricL 

Hi all, we have a concrete slab that we want to build decking over and onto some of the grassed area surrounding it.
total area is 3500x 6000.
For the concrete would you recommend using 140 x 45 or 90 x 45 H3 outdoor framing with L brackets bolted to the ground for circulation with a 35mm gap from the concrete for the joists. 
We are also looking at using the tuff feet underneath. 
For the grassed area what posts would you recommend for the ground? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a low-level deck over concrete and grass?

Hello @Ryan1980

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us and thank you for sharing your question about your deck.

If you only have a gap of 35mm, I suggest using a paver in combination with Builders Edge Pedestal Feet. I recommend digging out the thickness of the paver which is about 40mm and compacting the soil before putting the paver on top. The pedestal feet can then go on top of the paver. The reason for using the pedestal feet is that they can be adjusted to the different variances of the decking frame.

Here is a good example of angle brackets being used in conjunction with pedestal feet: Low-level composite deck over concrete and soil by @oninpena

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ryan1980
Getting Established

A780C040-6DFF-4356-BCB4-02F3C89C0302.jpeg

Hi Eric,

thanks for your response. 
I have a picture attached of example we are looking at now for the concrete/tiled area. 
Using XL feet (75mm clearance) as a guide and then using angle brackets bolted to the concrete. What size framing would you recommend? I was thinking 90mm x45mm outdoor framing 

thanks for your help 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ryan1980

If the current space allows you to use 90 x 45 then I suggest using that size. Just keep in mind to add the overall height the deck will be taking up. For example, if you have a gap of 75mm add the 90mm thickness of the timber plus the thickness of the decking panel which is 19mm for Merbau. You now have a total of 184mm, if you were to use bigger timber it would definitely pass the 200mm mark making your deck very thick. 

If we can help you with any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ryan1980,

We are looking forward to seeing your deck come to life.

Just wanted to point out some helpful resources in case you haven't seen them already:

Welcome to the community.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects