Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

How to build a low-level deck?

Hi Team,

planning on building a deck under our new patio approx. dimensions;

~8200L

~4700W ( can be flexible on this to suit a standard board length to avoid cuts ) 

~150/200H 

ideally wide Boards running out to the grass. 

Most of it can be supported by an existing concrete patio, with I assume some footings on the outer side closest to the lawn.  

Can you please help me with how so set out the frame / bearers / joists  footings etc ? what sizes to use etc ?

Cheers DECK.jpg

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

Re: Low level deck ?

Hi gurus , thoughts on finger jointed timber for the deck ? Suitable ? , looking at this pre-oiled stuff from Bunnings 

140 x 19mm 5.7m SpecRite Merbau Joined Set Length Pre-Oiled Decking

That timber is perfectly suitable, @PscottDIY. The lengths are without bows or twists and of high quality with little to no defects. It's an ideal choice for your deck if you're looking to lay single boards across the whole width.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

Great , another question with the end stirrups , will these be ok for my 45mm bearers ? 

Wesfab 100 x 75 x 300mm Half Stirrup Post Support

I/N: 1075167

If you're using 90 x 45mm joists @PscottDIY, the height of the stirrup's upright mounting plate might interfere with your decking. Those stirrups are designed for posts or could be used if the joist was 140mm high. I'd suggest checking the height of the mounting plate so that it's not over 90mm high. You could cut them down if interference occurred.

Another way around this would be to add a timber spacer under the joist on the stirrup. This would bring the joist higher than the mounting plate.

Mitchell

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

My bearer size is 140x45 so should be good 👍,  my question more so is it ok to sit a 45mm wide bearer onto these type of stirrups ? Also what’s best practice for where to fix the stirrup to the bearer ? 100mm in from end of deck ? 

Nice one @PscottDIY. It's fine to sit a 45mm bearer on those stirrups. 

It's acceptable to have a small counter-levered section at the edge of the deck to achieve that floating look. Positioning the stirrup 100mm in from the edge of the deck would be fine. 

Mitchell

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

Hi Chaps, @MitchellMc @EricL few more questions;

- do you recommend and clamp products for clamping wonky boards?

- what would be a recommended layout for joist noggins ? 

cheers 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PscottDIY 

For clamping, I suggest having a look at Craftright 80 x 300mm F Clamp and Irwin 300mm Quick Grip Mini Clamp - 2 Pack in combination with Ratchet Straps. I propose getting a combination of these, the F clamps can go on the ends, the quick grips can hold on to the middle and the strap is to pull the entire assembly if the bow is too great.

In regards to the noggins, I suggest a sequence of 5 and 4 with gaps equally divided with the space provided. But I suggest calculating the amount you'll be using as your deck is quite large. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let me know.

Eric

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

IMG_3613.jpeg

 cheers @EricL @MitchellMc i have my bearers fixed in place each has stirrup in concrete at the end and 3 galv brackets and 2 buzon pedestals ( rated 1tonne each ) , so 6 support points across the 4.7 m bearer. My question do I need any bracing between the bearers or do the joists on top ( fixed with triple grips ) sort that out ? 

That's correct, @PscottDIY. Your joists will effectively be the bracing, and they'll help tie the bearers together.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects