Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

How to build a low-level deck?

Hi Team,

planning on building a deck under our new patio approx. dimensions;

~8200L

~4700W ( can be flexible on this to suit a standard board length to avoid cuts ) 

~150/200H 

ideally wide Boards running out to the grass. 

Most of it can be supported by an existing concrete patio, with I assume some footings on the outer side closest to the lawn.  

Can you please help me with how so set out the frame / bearers / joists  footings etc ? what sizes to use etc ?

Cheers DECK.jpg

PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

Re: Low level deck ?

@EricL @MitchellMc 

Time has come to oil the deck now. What’s the product / process you recommend with the Specrite pre-oiled Merbau ? It’s been weathering for a good time now and had a good few hoses downs etc. 

cheers 

If you are happy with the current colouring, then I'd suggest you go with the Cabot's 4L Aquadeck Natural Exterior Decking Oil @PscottDIY. If, after a year, the deck begins to grey and lose colour at all, you can then switch to Cabot's 4L Merbau Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil. The only difference between the two is that the Merbau version includes a Merbau-coloured stain to return colour to the timber, and that's not normally necessary for the very first oiling.

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to oil your deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PscottDIY
Cultivating a Following

Cheers 

is water based ok to go over the pre-oiled , I assume the recommended feast and Watson wood clean takes care of that ? 
https://delivery.bunningscontenthub.bunnings.com.au/api/public/content/b76a42ec632b467fa7ee4f28c1cc9...

also I note the Specrite info recommends intergrain ultradeck, any discernable difference between that and the Cabot’s ?

cheers 

Water-based is fine over pre-oiled @PscottDIY.  As you've mentioned, Feast Watson Wood Clean of Cabot's New Timber Prep would help ensure the best adhesion. Intergrain Ultradeck is also perfectly fine to use, and I believe it's recommended as that's the product Specrite has done testing with. Since they recommend using it with their product, I'd suggest that would be the best option for your project. I've only used Cabot's products, but the Intergrain is exceptional, too. Intergrain is the more premium of the two products.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects