Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-level deck?

IronStan001
Having an Impact

How to build a low-level deck?

I have an alfresco area which I'd like to deck.  The joists (Green lines) will most probably fix straight into the concrete and ideally, I'd like to go 1500mm beyond the concrete (Red line).  I have a storm water pipe (White line) about 800mm out from the concrete.  800mm out from the concrete, the ground is at its lowest point, which is about 200mm lower than the alfresco.  With regards to the footings and bearers, what are my options?

PXL_20230917_054034077~3.jpg

Re: How to build a low-level deck?

So, three hours is the recommended recoat time, @IronStan001. The maximum allowable air or surface temperature is 35 degrees Celsius. So, I'd be rigging up a tarp to shade the boards, as on a 30 degree day the boards themselves could potentially reach above 35 degrees.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ok.  So maybe I drop the first coat in the morning, then the 2nd around 7pm once the sun is no longer directly on the deck.

It's best to do the re-coat as soon as possible @IronStan001. I have the re-coat time down as two hours. So, perhaps it's best to do one at 5pm and the second at 7pm.

Mitchell

Looking at the weather report, Tuesday has scattered showers and the rest of the week is cloudy at early 20's.  Maybe I'll wait until late in the week.

I couldn't wait, so I put the first coat down at 6:30p tonight.  It took an hour, so I can get on with the 2nd coat at 8:30p.  But the 2nd coat should maybe be a little quicker.

Even after the first coat, it looks SO good.  The cleaning took some colour out of the boards, but the oil has brought that right back that gorgeous Merbau colour.

Beautiful

PXL_20240318_070957134.jpg

PXL_20240317_213452513.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @IronStan001 

Thank you for sharing that update, I do believe that is the smoothest deck I've ever seen. It must be wonderful to walk on, my best advice is to put foam or rubber pads on the feet of the furniture you'll be placing on the deck. 

Eric

It's still a little tacky, so maybe another day or so and it should be good.

But otherwise, the oil really finishes it off.  It's turned out much, much better than I expected.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects