Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

ricm
Finding My Feet

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

Hi there,
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated... We are building a new deck in an area with pavers in the back. We have an uneven area of pavers up against timber sleepers in the garden corner, my question is - what would you advise that we use to put under the decking to make the area level? If we put 'build tuff' as bases and attached the whole frame base to the side sleepers, would this work?  . 

Re: How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

Thanks @Nailbag ! Yes, I totally get that and i agree about the pool pavers height. Need to convince the boss on that one! 

I appreciate your thoughts, thanks so much.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Building a new deck where current pavers are

Good morning @ricm 

Thats a nice area to work with and I do like the minister for home affairs want for a deck the same level as the covered part lol Tho how about a compromise? Maybe most of the area at that same height but a step down of 600mm to 800mm back from the dge of the pool to a lower height deck. That way no steep drop off tothe pool and it will look easier on the eyes? It would also stop the issue of the rotted palm bases dropping the soil level.

I really like the idea of reusing the pavers elsewhere, also like the idea of not having stuff left under a deck. Promotes free drainage and less issue if you ever want to work int hat area in the future.

I would leave the first two rows of pavers next to the pool and have the deck just a tiny bit higher then them but covering them. 

Dave

Re: How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

hahaha, good luck with that, we all have bosses to answer to @ricm 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects