Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a small deck using modular decking kit and adjustable supports?

martyjames
Finding My Feet

How to build a small deck using modular decking kit and adjustable supports?

After further research and helpful input from you guys i am now planning to build an approximately 3m x 3m deck (no pergola) over a slightly sloping concrete slab in my backyard (pic attached).

I am a very basic diyer so want simple and easy to understand but want the deck structurally sound and long lasting.

I found Bunnings sell Modular Decking Base Frame kits like https://www.bunnings.com.au/1144-x-1144mm-modular-decking-70-x-45mm-ekodeck-base-frame-flat-packed_p... etc

I am thinking to use 9 of these kits 1144mm x 1144mm to get a base roughly 3.5m square.

I will use the Modular decking support feet to level the frame : https://www.bunnings.com.au/50mm-modular-decking-adjustable-support-foot_p8451224

I watcheds this video from Bunnings on how to put it all together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tjQdmsmkP8

Over the to of the frame i will install composite decking

Quesions

1.The video does NOT show the frame being attached to the ground at all - does it need to be? If so how would i attached it to the concrete slab? ( i can easly attach to the low wall at back of yard - is that ok?)

2.Can you send me a link to the correct "battern" screws refered to in video

3. How would i work out which length of Modular decking support feet to buy? They come in 50/100/150mm lengths from your website

4. Is the Modular Decking Base Frame kit timber 100 percent weather proof and does not require any finish?

5. I am thinking i need a very long spirit level to ensure frame is level - can you please provide a link to suitable level

6. Can you send me a link for suitabe screws to screw the frames together if different from "battern" screws in no.2 above

Is there anything else i need to take into account or buy?

Thanks in advance

Martin

IMG_20240419_110514335 (2).jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building Small Deck - Take 2!! - Using Modular decking kit and Adjustable Supports??

Hi @martyjames,

Your decking project looks to be progressing nicely, I'm happy to see it coming to life. Have you made a decision on the colour of composite decking you'd like to go with?

From the photo you have uploaded, I can't see any obvious issues or anything you need to take into account, but I might ask how you plan to finish the edges? Do you want to have a fascia board to cover the end of the timbers and create a completed look?

As to the question about the brick planter box, our suppliers have advised previously that bitumen paint is not suitable to paint over. You can certainly paint up to it, but it is not a suitable surface for paint to adhere to.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Re: Building Small Deck - Take 2!! - Using Modular decking kit and Adjustable Supports??

Hi Jacob

Thanks for the reply. Im going to check out composite decking colours tomorrow. I beleive ican buy "nose boards" - same size as the decking boards but only 10mm in width, which will be used for the front and sides of the deck.

Question: re cutting composite decking i do not have a decent saw - only a hand saw and jig saw. Would this Ozito saw be good to cut composite decking with the blade it is supplied with? ( i dont want to spend too much as i'll only use it once for this project).

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-185mm-1300w-corded-circular-saw_p6290237

Thanks again

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martyjames,

Ekodeck produce Edge Boards in all the same colours as their standard boards. The edge boards come without the exposed groove that the regular boards have. These work with Ekodecks concealed fixing kits so you can hide all the fixings giving a nice clean look.

The saw you have linked to will be fine for this as the blade will be nice and sharp out of the pack. I suggest purchasing a Stanley Saw Guide Combination Square which can be used as a guide for making nice square cuts.

If you wanted to make your life even easier, you should consider a mitre saw such as this Ozito 1600W 210mm 8¼" Corded Compound Mitre Saw. For not much extra, you'll get a saw capable of getting square cuts quickly and easily every time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Thanks for the reply Jacob. Re the choice of saws this brings up 2 questions.

1. Am i better off cutting each piece of decking board to length seperately (where the mitre saw would be great) OR laying the boards in place all together and then making one long cut across ALL the boards (each side of the deck)- where the circular saw would work well

2. Re the Edge Boards, do the decking boards butt up against the Edge board OR is it better for the Edge board to Butt up against the bottom of the installed decking boards (in other words cut the decking boards the width of the deck PLUS 2 x width of the Edge boards?

(hope this question is clear!)

Many thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martyjames 

If you're not very familiar with a circular saw, then I would suggest using a mitre saw instead. Cutting the decking panels in a straight line requires a fair bit of precision and familiarity with your saw. A mistake here could be costly and add more time to your build.

Personally, I prefer to have the decking boards butt up against the Edge board. It gives it a nice finish and you don't see the cut ends of the decking panel. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the reply Eric, I'll go with your suggestion.

Re cutting the Edge Boards on the sides of the deck that slopes. These boards will need to have an angle cut the length of the side of the deck (because the yard/slab slopes towards the house). 

How do i draw that angle onto the Edge board and i am thinking to use a Jig Saw to do that cut - is that ok and what jigsaw balde should i get ?

Thanks again for all the assistance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @martyjames 

You'll need to measure both sides of the deck (from top top bottom) and transfer that measurement to each side of the sideboard. You then draw a line across the board where your measurements end. Remember to give yourself some space so that the board will not sit on the concrete base. 

Another method you can try is to cut up cardboard pieces and create a template of the angle which you can transfer to your sideboard.  

For such a long cut it would be better to use a circular saw as a jigsaw blade will sometimes waver when doing an extended cut.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks again for the help.

Re Eric's comment

"Personally, I prefer to have the decking boards butt up against the Edge board. It gives it a nice finish and you don't see the cut ends of the decking panel. "

I am going to lay boards using this approach. What gap should i have between the decking boards and the Edge board at each end??

Thanks again

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martyjames 

Just to be sure we are referring to the same thing, I've placed an image below of a deck with a decking board showing the same gap as the ones on your decking panel. The gap of 3mm is often used but can be bigger if you wish. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Eric

Thanks Eric, just what i needed to know

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects