Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a wooden privacy screen?

KateDIYhome
Growing in Experience

How to build a wooden privacy screen?

Hi everyone :smile:

Hoping to ask for advice on the correct timber and sizing to purchase from bunnings. Attached is a picture of my current backyard area, i want to completely redo this space in stages, eventually building a deck too as the space is no longer used as a driveway. Step on is to build a privacy screen like the photo attached as i deal with a lot of noise, light and smoke issues from my neighbors and they built a raised patio so they can see straight into our home.
the idea of what i want to acheivethe idea of what i want to acheivecurrent areacurrent area
The free standing structure needs currently requires 7 posts to begin - previously i have used 100x100 3.0m post H4 treated pine - is that ideal to use for the base or is there a better recommendation? and will then anchor into the concrete below.

2nd question - the space between the posts will require timber slats that are 2.37m in length and will need to fill in an area of 2m counting in a 15mm spacer between each slat. can any one recommend what timber slat i should purchase for this project? i dont mind if its untreated, i can paint it after its been built - any recommendations or ideas for this project would be greatly appreciated, im really trying to figure out a way to make this space usable and private (  i had previously tried growing hedges in pots but the area dosen't get enough sun for growth)

Many thanks ,
Kate

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Adivce on building a wooden privacy screen

Hi @KateDIYhome,

I'd encourage you to consider using SpecRite 1800 x 600mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Garden Fence Panel or SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel and adjusting your post spacing to suit. If you have seven posts and the space between them is 2.37m, I presume the screen will be around 14 metres long. If you were to use the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel on their side, you'd need eight to span that width. If you raised them 20cm off the ground (that space could be clad with something else), you'd only need two high to reach your 2m mark. That would be 16 panels at approximately $1500. 

The reason for suggesting the above is that if you were to use a baton screen, it would be more expensive and vastly more work. For instance, let's use 42 x 18mm 2.7m FJ Pre Oiled Merbau Screening. With your 15mm spacing, it works out to be 35 lengths per 2.37 section. Times that by the six sections, and you'll need 210 lengths at a cost of approximately $2080. If that's the look you are going for, then by all means, use the batons; I just wanted to inform you that there were other options. You can see an excellent use of these panels to cover a fence in @WendyL's Merbau panel screening.

You can certainly use H4-treated posts, but if they are not going in the ground, you can use H3-treated instead. You could use various post footers, but something like this VUEPRO 90mm Galvanised Tradies Bolt Down Post Support would be a neat solution.

We also have a variety of screening panels and fence extensions that you might like to consider.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

Thank you so much - that advice is amazing and i think you are spot on! it will be a time saver to use the pre-oiled screens and adjust the posts as need be. We will start building in the next few weeks and i will post some before and afters

Just a question - with the screens being in the weather without protection from the elements, is it advised to coat them every year or so to protect the wood? If so, what product would you recommend?

Thanks again!

Hi @KateDIYhome,

A yearly oil would keep the panels looking their best. I'd recommend a standard decking oil like Cabot's 4L Merbau Aquadeck Exterior Decking Oil. It's super-easy to apply with a Cabot's Decking Oil Applicator.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your results!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects