Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a cordless lawn mower?

Jono1
Finding My Feet

How to choose a cordless lawn mower?

Hi we're deciding on getting a cordless lawn mower and are on the fence with Ryobi one+ 18v 37cm brushless, Ozito PXC 36v 380mm brushless, and the Ozito PXC 36v 370MM as they're inside our budget and will fit in places atound our yard where larger ones can't but just would like one that is reliable and long lasting. Thanks 😊  here are some links

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-36v-2-x-18v-370mm-cordless-telescopic-lawn-mower-kit-pxlmtk-41...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-36v-2-x-18v-brushless-lawn-mower-kit_p0500364

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-one-18v-37cm-4-0ah-hp-brushless-cordless-lawn-mower-kit_p0347672

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to choose a cordless lawn mower?

Hi @Jono1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

First step would be to take a look at a couple of resources we have here on the site. There's a comprehensive guide How to choose a cordless lawn mower by one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts @EricL and also selected advice from our members in the article What lawn mower do you recommend?

Next step would be to tell us a little more about your lawn and your needs. Also, do you already have Ozito or Ryobi tools, or plan to invest in some in the future? It always makes sense to stick to the one system as the batteries are a big investment and interchangeable. 

Hope that helps get the discussion started. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jono1
Finding My Feet

Yeah I should have put in more context sorry about that my lawn is around 500-700m² so will definitely need to charge a battery or 2. I already have a bunch of Ozito PXC tools with about 5 batteries already 2 of which are the same as those in the kits already so I mainly have my eye on the Ozito's especially the 380 as it's brushless but there's so few reviews on it and so many for the 370 which is really conflicting for me 

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Jono1,

Welcome along, mate,

Tell me, how big is the lawn area that you're looking to mow with a given lawnmower?

I'm still using a petrol lawnmower, but a few of my friends have bought the Ryobi one you linked to.

Now with any electric lawnmower, a few things need to be taken into consideration:

• You need to keep the blades SHARP, you can do this with an angle grinder and a grinding disc, of course wearing appropriate PPE, you are ONLY sharpening them, not grinding the cr*p out of them.
  • Never cut wet grass, this will kill your batteries quicker than anything else, wait for the grass to dry considerably before mowing it.
  • Keep your lawn under control and don't let it get too long between cuts, this can have a significant effect on the life of your batteries, especially if you have to recharge to complete a small section of lawn after the batteries go flat (which they shouldn't ever).
  • Keep an eye on you batteries during mowing, mowers are hard on batteries, I've heard it said that you should never mow under 15-20% battery capacity, whether or not that is right, I have no idea........

These lawnmowers only cut grass, they have an electric motor driving them, they are not designed for sticks and things that may have fallen on your lawn after a night of heavy wind, survey your lawn before starting.

Back in the day, I used to own one of them old Flymo electric (mains powered) lawnmowers, I had nothing but problems with it, mainly the motor and the blades, to save yourself some money, always look after the two main components of an electric mower, ohh and the batteries.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Ezzy
Building a Reputation

We went through this same exercise approx 2 weeks ago with the same brands & models at our Harrisdale Warehouse in W.A.

After physically looking at each model & then doing my homework on the web sites we settled on the Ryobi 18v- 37cm brushless. This seemed to have more height adjustments, looked like a better model, had a 6 year warranty plus 3 years on the battery & charger, & l already have other Ryobi products which take the same battery. I liked the fact 2 batteries could be loaded into the mower too with one to use & the other as a standby when that operating the machine went flat. The fact this will cut right up to a wall or edge was also a big bonus.

At home after mowing the front lawn which had a bit of length, l found only half of the battery charge had been used. The machine was very easy to use.

Importantly, read the instructions fully before attempting to use this machine.

Coincidentally, our BUNNINGS GARDEN CIRCLE CLUB talk today was from a rep from Ryobi. He explained, among other things, that the makeup of the battery & motor allowed this mower to produce more power with little drainage on the battery. There are many combinations & specials available on Ryobi mowers now which can include combinations. As l already had a whippersnapper l didn't entertain this idea.

LionHeart
Finding My Feet

I bought the Ozito 370mm kit a few years ago, and it has always worked well for me. It's light and easy to push, while still having plenty of power to get through the longer grass that results if I leave it too long between sessions. It's also easy to store away, since I can fold it up (the telescopic handle is an advantage there) and prop it up against the wall of my garden shed.

Hope that helps.

Many thanks for joining the Bunnings Workshop community and sharing your experience @LionHeart. Great to have you with us. I trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration from other members in return. 

Feel free to post whenever you have a project to share or need a hand with anything around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects