Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean bird poo off honed vanilla sandstone?

Carolyn3636
Just Starting Out

How to clean bird poo off honed vanilla sandstone?

I have honed vanilla sandstone which is quite clean and sealed. It has a couple of small

spots of bird poo on it that l cannot get out. Its at the top of a pillar so likely need to clean by hand. The stains have quite a deep yellow/brown colour. I was going to try with a cotton bud either bleach or chlorine. Any other tips appreciated.

1000006847.jpg

1000006842.jpg

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to clean bird poo off honed vanilla sandstone?

Hi @Carolyn3636,

It's always best to try the mildest cleaning solution first that might work before moving up to such items as bleach or chlorine. Harsh chemicals can cause irreversible damage to sealers and natural stone. I suspect the sealer manufacturer would advise against those, but if you do feel they are necessary, I highly recommend doing a test section in an inconspicuous location first to ensure no damage occurs.

I'd suggest you start by trying warm water with a squirt of dishwasher detergent in it. Apply to the area and give it a scrub with a soft-bristle broom. If that fails to bring the marks off, you can move on to stronger solutions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects