Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean rusty chair legs?

SusanJ
Finding My Feet

How to clean rusty chair legs?

Hi. I have 2 black verna chair, but the legs have now got rust spots. It does look like the rust has eaten away some of the powder coating. can I use an antitrust liquid and then spray paint them? Thank you

20231202_161619.jpg

20231202_161632.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to clean rusty chair legs?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SusanJ. It's great to have you join us. We look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to share his advice when he's back on the site later today. In the meantime, let me also tag some other helpful and experienced members in @daniknight4@LorenaDIYS@craftyhopper and @JoeAzza to see how they would approach this job.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @SusanJ 

Anti rust liquid (Rust converter) work  best on a molecular level after you use a wire brush  or sand paper to  clean the rusty area and loose paint off.

Keep in mind if that area is rusty look for more spots. I would sand powdrer coated  legs all over just to be sure so  you wont have to revisit this  issue to quckly again.

I would then  use rust converter  then  use bunnings  Dy Mark Black  Zinc spray  paint another molecular rust defence  and as it  comes in black and is an highly durable epoxy paint will be the best possible solution, No further paint required.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dy-mark-400g-black-zinc-spray-paint_p8903165

You might like some new rubber boots for the chair legs too  freshen up the whole project.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SusanJ 

My apologies for the late reply. I recommend using the White Knight Rust Guard system to treat your rusty chair leg. Jewelleryrescue's suggested steps are spot on. The leg must be sanded clean of rust before applying the rust converter. Once the converter has done its job, I suggest using a White Knight Rust Guard 400g Grey SLS Etch Primer Spray Paint. When the primer dries off you can then use White Knight 310g Black Gloss Rust Guard Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint or your choice of topcoat.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint rated mask while working on your project. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed at the back of the bottle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you Eric & Jewelleryrescue for your help.  I hope to get started on this next week.

SusanJ
Finding My Feet

resprayed rusty chair legs

As a follow up for the question I asked about 3 weeks ago about rusty chair legs, I finished the 2 chairs yesterday.

They are just drying indoors as the spray paint in a couple of sections isn't quite dry.

Not sure I have the best newspaper wrapping technique, but project finished and am happy with the result.

Thank you again for the earlier suggestions. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: resprayed rusty chair legs

Great work, @SusanJ! I'm so pleased that you've successfully painted your chair legs. You'll need to give us an updated image once they are dry.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects